EFF, Yahoo Fight Againt Warrantless Email Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
If you are okay with warrantless searching of email you are okay with your emails being hacked and displayed publicly.

If you are willing to give up a freedom or liberty to feel more "secure" you deserve neither freedom, liberty, or security. (Paraphrasing a quote, not my words)

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Why would they (the gov't) need to read your Email when they can just "friend" you on facebook and read every thing?
:lol:

Anyways, kudos for EFF and Yahoo on this one.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
If the government is certain that it has a case, it should have no problem getting a search warrant. Of course, that would probably create some sort of legal situation which might be beneficial to the accused in some way, which Big Brother is trying to avoid.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Fight on yahoo, fight on. I'm all for catching the bad guys, but there's a reason we require a warrant. If the DOJ want's that info, then convince a judge they need a warrant for it, end of story.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
The warrant validates the evidence.

Without the warrant, looking at the contents could actually damage whatever evidence is IN the mail box.

Lets see, sir... how do we *KNOW* if a member of the govt. added fake evidence? Is there a record of govt. FBI/whatever of going into the mailbox (home / car / POBox) in a proper order? etc.

Govt needs to follow the law too.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Drives me nuts that instead of accepting technology into our life, the government instead tries to use it as a method for undermining our Constitution. They use the Assault Rifle as a example against the Second Amendment claiming way back when that sort of technology wasn't available much less invented. Like the government/military isn't always 10x ahead of civilians in weaponry and already wire tapping us ala Einstein 3, Carnivore, and Echelon systems.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I hope Yahoo wins... otherwise it's one step closer to having the government classifying everyone as criminals. Does "1984" ring a bell?

eaving

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
why would they want to read my emails?
ive got about 200 with people asking mw what i had for dinner lol
but surely this is ilegal because they are not allowed to search your house to find info without warrent so why are they allowed this
sorry but this is bullshit

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]Isn't this why Google left China?[/citation]
Kind of. Google wasn't aware or active. The government wants Yahoo to be.
This might be a reason to set one of my browsers to Yahoo for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.