eGPU decision and implementation help needed

Wer3badatgames

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
I have currently a dell inspiron 15 3552 laptop but i need more power in my graphics department. I saw things about a egpu as an option. I am good with PC's but severly lacking in the laptop department. Can someone please suggest a egpu device i can use thats compatible and what graphics cards i can use with said egpu. Also installation and possible bug work arounds are also appreciated! Thanks guys for all your help hope to hear soon

Solution
You are better off buying a newer and more powerful laptop that does not use an Intel Atom CPU. An example would be the following Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-52RJ with a Core i5-6200u CPU and nVidia 940m graphics chip.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Laptop-E5-575G-52RJ-GeForce-Windows/dp/B01IHAHGI8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484932230&sr=8-3&keywords=940mx

=================================================

It is possible to attach an eGPU to your current laptop. But it is not an ideal solution especially since your laptop has a weak CPU. You need the following items.

1. EXP GDC V7.0 Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - You must remove the wireless card from your laptop to insert this adapter. It may or may not fit so do not...
You are better off buying a newer and more powerful laptop that does not use an Intel Atom CPU. An example would be the following Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-52RJ with a Core i5-6200u CPU and nVidia 940m graphics chip.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Laptop-E5-575G-52RJ-GeForce-Windows/dp/B01IHAHGI8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484932230&sr=8-3&keywords=940mx

=================================================

It is possible to attach an eGPU to your current laptop. But it is not an ideal solution especially since your laptop has a weak CPU. You need the following items.

1. EXP GDC V7.0 Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - You must remove the wireless card from your laptop to insert this adapter. It may or may not fit so do not buy the other necessary items unless this fits. ~ $50

http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html

2. A desktop graphics card. Don't buy something that is too powerful because the mini PCIe port in the laptop only runs at 1x speed which can severely limit a powerful desktop GPU. A desktop PCIe port used for GPUs runs at 16x speed. ~ $75 to $100

3. A power supply to connect to the EXP GDC V7.0 Beast. ~ $40

4. A monitor because laptops do accept video input to the laptop's screen. The one exception I am aware of are some Alienware laptop models. ~ $125 to $150

This is a possible solution, but not very elegant. That is why I recommend you buy a new laptop. Also note that current generation eGPU solutions requires a laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 port like the Razer Core external GPU dock. Laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 port typically cost over $900 to the best of my knowledge. Thunderbolt 3 has very high bandwidth so even a recently released powerful GTX 1080 will not be hindered by that port.

Solution