Elitebook 8760w GPU change (Quadro 5010m to GTX 770m)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2018
Recently, I've bought an HP Elitebook 8760W as a desktop replacement notebook for video and image editing. I absolutely love this beast of a rig, especially since it has HP's amazing "Dream Color" display. However, the stock Quadro 5010M GPU seems to be on the weak end of things, struggling with some editing workloads, and totally flopping when it comes to any gaming.

My question is, I've seen GTX 770m cards on eBay going for sub $150, as well as higher tier 970Ms and so on. Since these cards are all MXM III assemblies, is it possible for me to swap my Quadro for one of the more modern gaming cards, without any major issues? Thanks!

Solution
Here's a pretty good intro on the subject: http://www.notebookreview.com/howto/how-to-upgrade-nvidia-mxm-notebook-graphics-cards/

Your mobo manual will have a list of MXM gpus that are tested and guaranteed to work, and any other options come with a big maybe. One of the issues is driver support. There's also the question of whether or not the cooling is sufficient, because laptop manufacturers don't give much headroom on thermals. Finally, you have to think about the board layout. The heatsinks have to match the mobo layout perfectly, and some of the MXM boards have slightly different die and capacitor layouts. Long story short, it is possible, but it is also a huge headache. I would stick with the ones listed in the manual, or see if...

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
Here's a pretty good intro on the subject: http://www.notebookreview.com/howto/how-to-upgrade-nvidia-mxm-notebook-graphics-cards/

Your mobo manual will have a list of MXM gpus that are tested and guaranteed to work, and any other options come with a big maybe. One of the issues is driver support. There's also the question of whether or not the cooling is sufficient, because laptop manufacturers don't give much headroom on thermals. Finally, you have to think about the board layout. The heatsinks have to match the mobo layout perfectly, and some of the MXM boards have slightly different die and capacitor layouts. Long story short, it is possible, but it is also a huge headache. I would stick with the ones listed in the manual, or see if an hp service center can upgrade to a more recent card.

Solution
Aug 17, 2018

Thanks so much for your response! I've recently seen a GTX 965MX in a few youtube videos, being successfully used in the 8570, so I think I'll give that a try. If you have any more knowledge or feedback on it, I'd love to hear so I don't get my head too far under :D

Status
Not open for further replies.