Eluktronics N850HK1 Clicking When Opened, Chassis Separating

May 3, 2018
Hi,

This morning my 6-month-hold Eluktronics(/Clevo) N850HK1 stopped opening correctly. When I try to open the screen:

1. I get resistance from the left point of connection between the body and the screen.
2. The top of the body (the side the keyboard is on) separates from the bottom along the left in response to the pressure I'm putting on the screen, past the ethernet and power ports down to the Mini DisplayPorts. It does not separate along the back of the body at all.
3. The place where the plastic housing of the laptop screen connects to the hinge presses against the body in a way it shouldn't. The first time this happened I accidentally forced it, which made a loud click as the screen housing snapped past the point of contact.
4. I can open the laptop screen without contact or resistance if I put my hand on the left screen hinge and pull it toward myself as I open it, which prevents the plastic housing from getting stuck on the body.

Additionally, the left side of the laptop screen can be kind of wobbled around on its hinge in a way that the right side cannot.

I have no idea what caused this (I didn't drop it or anything), but it seems like something is wrong with the left hinge. Am I good to pop the top of the body off and to try to put it back into place? What's my best bet here?

Thanks!

Solution
No problem.

You look to be well within the warranty period, so I would definitely discuss it with the manufacturer and see what happens, probably follow up with a phone call if you don't hear back soon. I understand your anxiety over it being perceived as accidental, but who knows, could be a somewhat known issue for that make or for a particular batch window or something.

rune2h

Proper
May 1, 2018
What type of warranty do you have on it?

Your best bet, in my opinion, would be to avoid anything that would void that. While I'm not familiar with your specific laptop, generally manufacturers don't want you popping open the topcase/chassis, therefore I am assuming it would void your warranty.

It could just be the hinge, but if you have to void your warranty just to check that, that wouldn't be advisable. If you don't have any kind of warranty, go for it I suppose.

May 3, 2018

Thanks for the quick response!

They say "Warranty, Parts:1 Year for entire PC, 3 Year for SSD -Warranty, Labor:1 Year". I've emailed them to ask about getting it repaired under warranty, but I'm a little nervous that they'll assume I dropped it and say this falls outside of warranty.

rune2h

Proper
May 1, 2018
No problem.

You look to be well within the warranty period, so I would definitely discuss it with the manufacturer and see what happens, probably follow up with a phone call if you don't hear back soon. I understand your anxiety over it being perceived as accidental, but who knows, could be a somewhat known issue for that make or for a particular batch window or something.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS