Enable Hyper-threading in Toshiba Satellite 2435-S255 Laptop BIOS

oldsports

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015
I upgraded a Toshiba Satellite 2435-S255 laptop with 2GB PC2700 RAM and installed Windows 7 Pro with no problems. The laptop had a 2.6GHz P4 running at 533MHz and I wanted to upgrade it. I replaced it with a 3.06GHz P4 with hyper-threading; the BIOS recognized it and is running it with no problems except that HT is not activated. There is no BIOS setting to turn on HT; I am running Version 1.6 which is the highest version on the Toshiba website.

I did a little research and found out that the motherboard uses the Intel i845PE chipset which supports hyper-threading. Apparently, the BIOS I have does not take advantage of this. Does anyone know if there is a BIOS for my laptop that I can use to activate HT? I am even willing to experiment with making changes in the BIOS code if someone can guide me. I am curious to see if I can make it work so I am willing to risk bricking the laptop while experimenting! Thanks!

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
hiperthreading is just the old name for threads

does windows report 1 or 2 cpus/cores?

what exct p4 did oyu bought and installed?

the bios on the laptop, have you tried to update it?

oldsports

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015

Windows only reports 1 CPU - this is because the BIOS does not recognize its HT capability. I have upgraded to the most recent BIOS on the Toshiba website (Version 1.6) so Toshiba did not enable the HT capability of the i845PE chipset. This is why I am looking for a BIOS that recognizes HT. My guess is that I will need one that has been modified by someone or I am looking for someone willing to talk me through a modification. Thanks!

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
so, what p4 did you installed?

on old pcs, the hiperthreading was not really helpful, only became helpfull with the first i3 cpus so don't really worry much for that feature

oldsports

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015

Intel Pentium 4 3.067 GHz 3.06GHz/512/533 SL6PG

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Laptop Tech Support 6
K Laptop Tech Support 5
A Laptop Tech Support 3
jsmoke Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1