Enable Hyper-threading in Toshiba Satellite 2435-S255 Laptop BIOS

oldsports

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015
I upgraded a Toshiba Satellite 2435-S255 laptop with 2GB PC2700 RAM and installed Windows 7 Pro with no problems. The laptop had a 2.6GHz P4 running at 533MHz and I wanted to upgrade it. I replaced it with a 3.06GHz P4 with hyper-threading; the BIOS recognized it and is running it with no problems except that HT is not activated. There is no BIOS setting to turn on HT; I am running Version 1.6 which is the highest version on the Toshiba website.

I did a little research and found out that the motherboard uses the Intel i845PE chipset which supports hyper-threading. Apparently, the BIOS I have does not take advantage of this. Does anyone know if there is a BIOS for my laptop that I can use to activate HT? I am even willing to experiment with making changes in the BIOS code if someone can guide me. I am curious to see if I can make it work so I am willing to risk bricking the laptop while experimenting! Thanks!

oldsports

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015

Windows only reports 1 CPU - this is because the BIOS does not recognize its HT capability. I have upgraded to the most recent BIOS on the Toshiba website (Version 1.6) so Toshiba did not enable the HT capability of the i845PE chipset. This is why I am looking for a BIOS that recognizes HT. My guess is that I will need one that has been modified by someone or I am looking for someone willing to talk me through a modification. Thanks!

oldsports

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015

Intel Pentium 4 3.067 GHz 3.06GHz/512/533 SL6PG