Enraged Starcraft Player Stabs Random Girl

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Let us try to not having "leading or misleading news articles". Articles like this might as well say, "smoker stabs little girl", "man who drinks Budweiser stabs little girl", "Nun stabs little girl" (ok, I"m reaching a bit here.) But the fact is a person who cannot control their anger took it out on someone else. The fact that he is/was a gamer isn't relevant. The fact a smoker is going through withdrawal isn't relevant, the fact a man wanted a beer really bad and found he had no money in his wallet isn't relevant and the fact that the nun who refused to take an antipsychotic because God would fix her isn't relevant. A person lost it and hurt someone. That is relevant.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Oh, really, cuz of starcraft huh? I'm sure this guy is perfectly normal and starcraft just made him go crazy right??? Amazing. Did he drink water? Eat food? He lived in a house, maybe that did it....

How come they didn't name the article-
Enraged person who drinks water, eats food, and lives in a house Stabs Random Girl......

I'm just imagining the investigators in the house, I can see them doing a walk through, digging through evidence, taking hours looking through his diary, and then the lead detective looks up and says, "OMG- I can't believe I missed it, look everyone "starcraft".. I bet he was playing that right before it happened, everyone can stop looking for evidence now, just bag this game and we are done here".

They should make it a law that anytime something like this happens they have to post a scan of there brain with the article. Just cuz im sure this guy has a completely normal one. I'm sure he grew up completely normal, no problems with police, did great in school, has loving family, probably a cat, doesn't do drugs, probably normal looking and a steady girlfriend. Probably even popular in school and in his neighborhood. Yeah, definately must have been starcraft...

F&^%$*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
How much do you want to bet he thinks god was punishing him? He probably thinks that he didn't deserve the "lost connection" and went and did something that was mighty "evil" of him. Douche bag.

soul555top

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
He was watching Oprah. I blame Oprah. Did you guys know that Oprah is really an Alien? I blame Aliens on Oprah. I blame Oprah for blaming Aliens, who in turn are the cause of this attempted murder. I blame this attempted murder on Aliens.

Starcraft has Aliens. I blame Aliens for the invention of the game Starcraft. In conclusion, Starcraft is to blame for this horrible tragedy. Blame.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
F@#$#@ing hackers.... they enrage me too but I'm not going to stab anybody.

I play starcraft daily and I get pissed when people are obviously cheating... I mean, if you're going to cheat... What's the point of playing online? It's not like you're actually good at the game if you're cheating. Might as well comp stomp.

esquire468

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
If someone is crazy enough to do this with the first Starcraft, imagine the increase in violence that is going to be caused by Starcraft II when someone's ISP goes down or Blizzard's online authorization system hangs, crashes or goes down, and there is no LAN to fall back on. Another reason to have LAN play - decrease the senseless violence caused by emotionally troubled gamers.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Wouldn't it be his Internet Service Provider's fault for dropping the signal as opposed to it being the game itself which is a program that requires an internet signal??? This could have happened regardless of it was a game or not, it was the signal that went down, not the game...

Either way, i blame the girl, she shouldn't have been walking down that street at that precise moment... kidding!

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
LOL STARCRAFT?! that's about the last game i'd expect to cause a stabbing. If anyone looks at the actual gameplay, they would realize that they can't blame this one on the game lol.

I think we're all failing to see the real enemy here... KITCHEN KNIVES! IF it wasn't for them, this wouldnt have happened! They MUST be banned!

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]KT_Wasp[/nom]I know its messed up, and I feel bad for the innocent girl... But, it kind of reminds me of that new GameFly commercial ... That is how I picture the kid...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGH [...] r_embedded[/citation]

I lol'd at your comment but this is sad and his outrage has nothing to do with gaming. He was simply psychotic for w/e reasons caused it.

ryanegeiger

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
People are overlooking the real culprit. Maybe he was angry because his ISP dropped his connection for the 1,132,639th time.

Please change headline to "Shoddy ISP's cause people to stab other people."

Sounds like an FPS'er trying to play an RTS anyway. Go with what you know people. If he were an RTS'er, he wouldn't have stabbed someone, he'd have called his friend and told him to go gather up a supply of kitchen knives from the local store and then ordered him to commit the stabbing while he watched on a birdseye webcam.

Glad the girl is okay... what a horrific experience.

anhxeom

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
The title of this article is waaay misleading. It should be titled "Disgruntle Online Gamer Stabs Random Girl"! This would give Starcraft a really bad rep. He was playing Starcraft then his internet got disconnected during a round. He is mad about his ISP and not Starcraft. I can understand if say... BattleNet disconnected him, but it was his ISP. Just because he was playing SC at the time doesn't mean it was the caused. Why not blame on the brand of PC, the mouse/keyboard, the chair he's sitting on, or whatever he was drink when he was playing?? rediculous!!

BTW...the guy is an idiot anyway. It wouldn't matter what game he was playing or what he was up to, he would of kill anyway.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Well, by that order of ideas (that some how Starcraft as been involved) everytime there is a earthquake and houses get destroyed due to the violence of the quake, we can all blame on Tetris and SimCity because Tetris was about putting pieces in the correct order and SimCity was about organizing cities.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Before my rant, I'd like to say that I recognize the seriousness of the situation and am glad the girl's okay.

It really pisses me off that this is now going to be used as a black mark against gaming. There are THOUSANDS of cases of people reacting in violence because of ridiculous things, and this is just another one of those things. There are people who've killed each other over shoes. There have been people who've stabbed others because their microwave didn't work. Fights erupting over sports are so common we almost completely ignore them. Hell, radio talkshow host Shannon Burke shot his wife and dog because the dog was getting on his nerves.

Now does that mean we shouldn't have shoes? Shouldn't have microwaves? Shouldn't have sports? Shouldn't have dogs? NO! But when it comes to video games... they're a problem. It's not possible for someone to just snap and act out in violence. That never happens without video games.

I'd love to see numbers showing violence caused by video games compared to violence caused by being aggravated by some other hobby on an hour-per-hour spent basis. I wouldn't be suprised if they were the same, or video games were lower.

Let's look at Halo 3. Over 1,398,516,144 games played by 15,358,162 different people. Since Halo 3's release on September 25, 2007, how many crimes have you heard about that could be even remotely related to Halo? 20? 30? 1000? Not many when you release there are over 15 million people who've played. Average crimes per capita in the US and UK are around 8 per 1000 people (source: nationmaster.com). So of the 15millon players, there would have to be 1,200,000 crimes committed for them to be average. Somehow I don't think you're going to link that many to Halo.

G

He uses his arms and hands to do any of those! Play evil games, use a butcher knife and stab people. It is SO obvious just ban arms and hands! Problem solved!

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
How about we title it "Enraged moron, with psychotic tendencies and no self-control, attacks random girl." With a sub-heading of "On-line gaming community outraged that Jack Thompson will undoubtedly use this senseless attack on a young woman to further his idiotic crusade against video games and ignore the real issue, that no one addressed the violent tendencies of the attacker. Gaming community offers sympathy and support to the victim and her family."

Status
Not open for further replies.