Entry Level Laptop - ASUS or Toshiba?

gunsmoked

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Hey guys,
Am needing to get a cheapo entry level laptop. At the moment, am considering between this Toshiba http://www.dabs.com/products/toshiba-c50-a-1hr-15-6--core-i3-3120m-2-5ghz--6gb-500gb-dvd-hdmi-usb3--w8-9363.html

and ASUS
http://www.dabs.com/products/asus--x552cl-15-6--core-i3-1-8ghz--6gb-500gb-nvidia-710m-1gb-usb3-hdmi--win8-96G3.html

Am needing it for some simple coding work, photoshop and web browsing. Won't be using it for game.
My reason for considering :
the Toshiba - cheaper and has a faster i3 CPU.

the ASUS - better overall build (apparently?) and features like Instant On.

What do you guys think?

p/s:
I already have a high spec desktop for gaming and resource intensive work, so the laptop is just for mobility and coding work on the go.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hi,

I've been in the business for about 20 years now and toshiba is nothing but trouble.
Hard drives has high fail rate, dead motherboards witch cost 300$ to repair ect.

The better of the two for quality is Asus although like you mention Toshiba has higher clocked CPU. But the Asus has a (slightly) better video card.

The only thing that might be slow with both of them is photoshop

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hi,

I've been in the business for about 20 years now and toshiba is nothing but trouble.
Hard drives has high fail rate, dead motherboards witch cost 300$ to repair ect.

The better of the two for quality is Asus although like you mention Toshiba has higher clocked CPU. But the Asus has a (slightly) better video card.

The only thing that might be slow with both of them is photoshop

gunsmoked

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Hey, thanks for your input. I used to think Toshiba was a good make until I read quite a bit of negative feedback.
At this rate then, I would probably take the entry level Asus. Am hoping the higher clock speed on the Toshiba will be negligible.....

I did consider getting an i5, but it would be about £130 more. Thing is, the i5 isn't really top tier, so I was thinking if I forked out for an i5 now, in about a year or 2 it would pretty much be the same level as this i3 right now.
So my initial thinking was this:
option 1.) make this i3 last at least 1.5 years then I could just wipe off this cost (cause there would be virtually no
resell value) and get a newer and more powerful one then

option 2.) fork out £130 more for an i5, treat it as a decent laptop and consider it an investment for the next few years.

What do you think about that?

kapitalistas

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
in two years i5 not gonna be like i3 for sure :) i build a rig 1 year a go now im not able to record game play cause it lagg a lot.it get old too fast (i7 3770 and gtx 660 2gb) i would buy what i need now ,to get faster tomorrow .

gunsmoked

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

=)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nagasiva_33 Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 5
D Laptop Tech Support 2
Q Laptop Tech Support 1
X Laptop Tech Support 8
Z Laptop Tech Support 1