Ergonomic Gear For A Better Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I'm quite surprised your focus is on ergonomics yet you haven't mentioned anything at all about trackballs. I've been using a Logitech Track Man Wheel for close to 4 years paired with my notebook. They have many advantages over mice, not the least being ergonomically superior.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I've been using the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 for a few years now and must say that I love it. Very comfortable. I also reprogrammed the back/forward buttons to control media player (via Microsoft's intellitype software), which is incredibly hand for someone like me who has a large music collection and might not be in the mood for a certain genre one day.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ryanegeiger[/nom]I agree... what about trackballs?[/citation]
trackballs are perfect for work only situations esp with limited desk space.

ddrcoder

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I've used a Kinesis for years (I'm typing this with one right now), and I must say they're the best keyboards ever made. I've found that they relieved stress in my hands/wrists. I recommended them to a friend who couldn't touch type and as he got used to the keyboard, he quickly learned. He can now type at 60WPM, I can type at 100WPM.

-Tom

G

Trackballs, why have they been blackballed? Everyone I loan my spare, I have three new ones just in case they stop selling them, Logitech mouse man marble to they immediately buy one for themselves.
My friend has CTS and cannot use a regular mouse with one hand because of the strain, trackball fixed him right up. Not only are they friendlier on the wrist the require vastly less desk space, they are easier to control and for precision work nothing beats a trackball.

My Gaming (counterstrike: source, UT2004, UT3, half life, team fortress, day of defeat,etc) buddies all have crazy expensive uber dpi programmable gaming mice that have lasers, and my 20$ trackball whips 'em every time. Why? no wasted movement, my arm is completely stationary when mousing, my fingers can keep the ball fluid and moving in one direction without having to lift it up, move it ove,r set it down, and continue mousing, one quick flick of the finger and the ball goes spinning in the desired direction, all while my arm is relaxed and stationary.

They are in fact perfect in play situations too.
How about some trackball love?

coconutboy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I like these kinds of articles. Currently I own a logitech MX Revolution, it's my ~5th logi mouse (I also own a cordless logitech trackball), but really all these have just been because I couldn't find anything better including the gazillion specialized ergo mice on the market. I just wish someone would make an upright/joystick-like mouse that also includes-

a trackball
scroll wheel or similar device
4 buttons minimum (5+ preferred) that users can define as forward/back/whatever.

I've tried many mice including the 3M joystick, Zero Tension Mouse and Evoluent upright. Those were somewhat better in terms of comfort but sacrificed buttons/functionality. As a result my last 4 or so mice have all been Logitech with my current being the MX Revolution but that's because of the extra buttons and its awesome scroll wheel, NOT the comfort which is just average.

[citation][nom]William Van Winkle[/nom]I was able to try out Logitech’s MK605 notebook kit ($100)... The keyboard and mouse are okay, and they are decently compact for travel, but I wish the stand were available separately.
[/citation]

The stand can be purchased individually for $30. Linkage-

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/notebook_products/stands/devices/5494&cl=us,en

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation]
The stand can be purchased individually for $30. Linkage-http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ [...] 4&cl=us,en[/citation]

Oh, bonus! Thanks for pointing that out, coconutboy. Again -- highly recommended.

tapeglue

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Less known help for wrist pain can be a computer armrest. I have been using one called Restman 1 for a few months now and it indeed makes me forget about my wrist problem. I got it from http://restmans.myshopify.com/products/restman-1.

trifler

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2003
I find that mice with higher dpi allow me to turn up the speed without losing any of the control. This greatly reduces the amount of necessary wrist movement to use a mouse. Therefore, I actually choose the Logitech G500 (5700dpi) for ergonomic reasons rather than for gaming reasons.

mikeyp

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
I have a logitech keyboard, and though I've never owned their trackball, I've actually ripped apart and soldered my Microsoft Trackball Explorer back together. In my opinion, the MS Trackball Explorer is the best mouse they ever stopped making. New $50, selling on ebay now for $300. Guess why...they are awesome! Only addition would be wireless connectivity. I do office work with it, I game with it, and I've never located a suitable substitute.

mikeyp

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
I have a logitech keyboard, and though I've never owned their trackball, I've actually ripped apart and soldered my Microsoft Trackball Explorer back together. In my opinion, the MS Trackball Explorer is the best mouse they ever stopped making. New $50, selling on ebay now for $300. Guess why...they are awesome! Only addition would be wireless connectivity. I do office work with it, I game with it, and I've never located a suitable substitute.

dedhorse

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Kensington makes the best trackballs, bar none. I've bought and tried ones from Microsoft and Logitech. Total waste of money. None compare to the Kensington Expert Mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.