Erratic Touchpad Behaviour

Parimal_1

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
Hi.
I'm using an HP Pavilion G6 laptop running authentic Windows 10. There's been this issue with my Touchpad lately. After using my laptop for a couple of hours suddenly the Touchpad acts all haywire. I have noticed the following:
1) the cursor won't move horizontally but only vertically.
2) the laptop keeps registering mouse clicks even when I'm not interacting with the Touchpad.
3) If I go to mouse settings and click on reset devices, the Touchpad again works normally but the problem keeps reappearing.

PS: I've already tried updating the driver, rolling back the driver,etc but to no avail.This thing just keeps happening.
Could anyone please help? Thanks in advance

Solution
That is very odd. The fact that it only runs for a while and then you have to reset it is throwing me for a loop.

If you feel comfortable making changes in the registry, you might try this...

1. Go into "regedit.exe"
2. Locate "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install".
3. This is found in "LOCAL MACHINE", and not "CURRENT USER".
4. Locate a key in that install folder called "DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade".
5. Double click the "DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade" and change the value from "1" to "0".
6. Reboot and see if the problem is resolved.

There must be something else going on in the system to cause the problem, but this may resolve it for now.

Parimal_1

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
Yes indeed. I've even went on to the pain of installing windows 8 from the recovery media on my spare hard drive and replaced the windows 10 hard drive with this other drive.
Still the issue persists. Now I think it's some hardware problem. Currently I'm able to make the Touchpad work by going to mouse settings in control panel and clicking on "reset devices".
This usually works for a few hours before the problem resurfaces. Then I again have to reset devices from the mouse settings.

That is very odd. The fact that it only runs for a while and then you have to reset it is throwing me for a loop.

If you feel comfortable making changes in the registry, you might try this...

1. Go into "regedit.exe"
2. Locate "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Install".
3. This is found in "LOCAL MACHINE", and not "CURRENT USER".
4. Locate a key in that install folder called "DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade".
5. Double click the "DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade" and change the value from "1" to "0".
6. Reboot and see if the problem is resolved.

There must be something else going on in the system to cause the problem, but this may resolve it for now.

Solution

Parimal_1

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016

Thanks for the reply mate. I'm on the verge of such a deep frustration that I will try almost anything to get this fixed.
I've applied the registry changes as suggested by you.
Please bear with me for some time as the problem usually occurs about 5-6 hours after a restart or applying reset devices option. I'll report the effects to you once I've observed the Touchpad behaviour for a day at least. I hope that's OK?

TRENDING THREADS