Error code 12 and 31 in device manager with switchable graphics

paulalastor

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
Hi all, it's been a while I have a problem with my Asus N53sm under windows 10. After a normal booting I wanted to play some CK2 but, in game, I discovered not using the discrete graphic card (nvidia geforce gt 630m). After opening device manager I was presented with this:
zGO3dMR.png

I tried to force update for the internal Intel hd 3000 but didn't work either. The nvidia is showed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and if I try to update it as well shows "This Graphics Driver could not find Compatible graphics hardware". I'm still trying to fix it somehow and I'm asking some help or hints. Thanks!
Update: I noted through the details->Hardware id that now my "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" is identified as geforce gt 555m?!:ouch: It is definetely wrong! I'm sure to have gt 630m!

Solution
Well like I said. I think it's Windows 10 simply ignoring to support the aged GPU.

You can try and older version of driver. It seemed to work for a few people here.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/windows-10-incompatible-with-nvidia-geforce-gt-630/2d261085-de93-4747-986b-15fbef06df48

But other then that, not much more you can do. Your system is old and Windows 10 simply doesn't seem to want to support it anymore.

This is why on some of my older system I didn't not upgrade them to Windows 10. I left it on Windows 7.

It sucks but other then contacting Microsoft for support. I'm out of ideas.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Yeah I ran into this issue with one of my clients earlier.

She was using Intel HD graphics and on Intels site it said they have a Windows 10 compatible driver. But everytime I installed it, Windows would automatically uninstall it and say "use microsoft basic display adapter instead" which of course is not an options because performance is shit on it and my client needed duel monitor display.

I believe this issue came from the recent Windows Creator update and they are dropping support for older GPU's. Even if the vendors support it, I don't think Microsoft does anymore.

I've try everything possible and couldn't get it to work. Drivers install just fine and then get automatically removed by Microsoft.

If you have done force installs and tried installing it in unsigned driver mode. You can try use DDU and try reinstalling clean drivers.

I don't really know if you have any other options here. How old is this laptop?

paulalastor

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
First of all thanks for reply! Yes, I have already tried to install nvidia drivers in unsigned driver mode but, after reboot, was presented with a BSOD related to acpi bios error; then after trying several times I ripristined Windows 10 through recovery (it boots after two failed attempts as per normal) and was back to square one again. The laptop is 5 years old, purchased in november 2012 for my birthday.

paulalastor

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
I tried to reset the BIOS removing the CMOS battery and putting it back but it's always the same thing. Now I don't know what to do...Some help please?
Thanks!

paulalastor

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
Back to normal, I'm just writing with it now but, like I said, I have this problem with the detected wrong card like in the picture...It is useless for playing old but good games like crusader kings II.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Well like I said. I think it's Windows 10 simply ignoring to support the aged GPU.

You can try and older version of driver. It seemed to work for a few people here.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/windows-10-incompatible-with-nvidia-geforce-gt-630/2d261085-de93-4747-986b-15fbef06df48

But other then that, not much more you can do. Your system is old and Windows 10 simply doesn't seem to want to support it anymore.

This is why on some of my older system I didn't not upgrade them to Windows 10. I left it on Windows 7.

It sucks but other then contacting Microsoft for support. I'm out of ideas.

Solution

paulalastor

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
Thanks for the help but your link just talks about gt 630 desktop, mine is, or should now say was, gt 630m for notebook. BTW I'll not give up yet, if I find the solution I'll post here.