Solved! Error Transferring files between two external hard drives??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlloyd1

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Trying to transfer files between two external hard drives on MacBook Pro laptop, but keeps stopping because of (Error -36)....
This stops the entire transfer process, which tend to take hours to complete, and I cannot always remember which batch of files was trying to complete. This is using MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6. The external drives are using different formats, with the first using a Journaled format, and the receiving hard drive using ExFAT format. I am transferring them because I need to share the files between my Mac, and my Windows machine. The error is claiming that the file in question cannot be read for some reason.
Is there a way to stop this error from happening, or at least skip past the file in question without cancelling the whole 600+ files that were trying to transfer??

*The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “----(Music Video).mp3” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)

Solution
That error message has to do with the metafile information attached to a file (icons, author, album, etc). The native Mac filesystem supports including the metainfo with the file. Other filesystems do not support this, so OS X writes the metainfo in a separate file. The error you're getting indicates it's having problems writing this info to the extra file.

There are a variety of different causes, and several solutions you can try.

https://www.google.com/search?q=error+code+36+os+x&oq=error+code+36+os+x
That error message has to do with the metafile information attached to a file (icons, author, album, etc). The native Mac filesystem supports including the metainfo with the file. Other filesystems do not support this, so OS X writes the metainfo in a separate file. The error you're getting indicates it's having problems writing this info to the extra file.

There are a variety of different causes, and several solutions you can try.

https://www.google.com/search?q=error+code+36+os+x&oq=error+code+36+os+x

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.