ESET says some VLC website mirrors are on filtered website list/contain malware???

sirhawkeye64

Estimable
May 28, 2015
So, I was reinstalling Windows 10 on a computer, and this computer has ESET Smart Security 8 on it. When I went to download VLC player (from www.videolan.org) I got an popup from ESET complaining that some of the mirrors that VLC uses are on their "filtered website" list (basically means that they are flagged for malware/adware, etc). I can't remember the specific sites, but does anyone know about this.

In the end, I did try to download VLC from the site but apparently the mirror it chose gave me an infected file, which ESET removed upon download. Has anyone else run into this. The virus it referenced was OpenCandy.C, which I haven't looked too much into (as I ended up just giving the person an slightly older version I had saved to a disk, which was NOT infected). Basically, my concern here is that some of their mirror sites may be giving out malware-infested copies of VLC player.

But this makes me wonder since VLC is a popular program and has over a billion downloads according to some articles online.

sirhawkeye64

Estimable
May 28, 2015
That's where I downloaded it from (videolan.org) which last I checked was the developer's site. But part of it is because I think they also host a copy on SF and other servers to speed up downloads. Anyway, I've tried the download with other AV programs (Norton, AVG, etc) and none of them complain so I'm thinking that perhaps my ESET settings are excessively high (I basically have everything for the AV turned up to the highest/strictest settings). I do have a slightly older spare copy that ESET doesn't complain about so I could always just use that copy.

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
weird,i just went to the site and no mirrors showed up at all.just the vlc download ive always used.you may have answered your own question tho.with your av settings on max you will get a lot of false positives.i always run my av on the recomended settings.bottom line is that link is a good one and safe as well.

sirhawkeye64

Estimable
May 28, 2015
I just went there a few minutes ago (on a different machine with ESET and settings set at max/high detection sensitivity) and didn't have a problem so it may be the machine I was using had something on it (although I did do a scan before hand but nothing came up). It also looks like they redesigned the site from the last time I was there about a month ago. Where I go the mirrors was if you click on the link that says if you're download didn't work, "click here" so if you go there it should present you a list of mirrors you can download from.

sirhawkeye64

Estimable
May 28, 2015
Indeed, I love VLC because it plays just about anything. Their Android app version could use some additional features--for example, it doesn't seem to rotate the screen when I put my tablet on its side, but other players (like MX player) do. But even then so, it still works great on the tablet, just have to keep the tablet long-ways (vertical).