EverQuest Next Aims to Evolve the MMO Genre

Status
Not open for further replies.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Way too cartoony... They haven't showed any sort of UI that I've seen, either. You can explore the bedrock beneath you? Awesome! Hahaha, will I find secret warp levels? (kidding)

Ok, well, I will be checking out whatever pops up on youtube, and keep an eye on it. I still play Everquest, and don't see anything replacing that, but we shall see.

I think they should stay away from having Everquest anywhere in the title or subtitle of the game. There haven't been too many horror stories lately, but I still think that name evokes bad vibes from a lot of folks still - Neverquest, Evercrack, etc etc

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Way too cartoony... They haven't showed any sort of UI that I've seen, either. You can explore the bedrock beneath you? Awesome! Hahaha, will I find secret warp levels? (kidding)

Ok, well, I will be checking out whatever pops up on youtube, and keep an eye on it. I still play Everquest, and don't see anything replacing that, but we shall see.

I think they should stay away from having Everquest anywhere in the title or subtitle of the game. There haven't been too many horror stories lately, but I still think that name evokes bad vibes from a lot of folks still - Neverquest, Evercrack, etc etc

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I'll give it a try only if its Action Based combat. I'm way too bored of target-cast based games/MMOs. I'll even say that most players will agree if they try action combat based games.

Cheers!

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
"I'll give it a try only if its Action Based combat. I'm way too bored of target-cast based games/MMOs. I'll even say that most players will agree if they try action combat based games."

That's what they are saying Elder Scrolls Online will be like, mostly, while still being able to focus on a single target in a field of many clustered together. That's the one I'm most interested in seeing more of.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
It is good to see them trying to develop new ways to pull in MMO players.. but I'm not buying that you smash a hole in the ground and mr giganto boss is just stamping around in his full armour and best weapon waiting to die.

Too japanese.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I highly doubt they can deliver. SOEs management has gone from bad to terrible, and the chances the marginal developers they keep on could pull this off are slim to none. SOE at a point had some of the most fantastic programmers that could probably pull that off. However, the shit management has no care for retention and they shed off those programmers who are now at Molten, Rockstar, Qualcomm, and Trion Worlds.

CZory91

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
"Players will also have the ability to cause the world to change around them, permanently, in dramatic ways,"

Why do so many MMOs try to promise this? Seriously, it's not happening the way you're trying to word it. I see this on every new MMO release and it's always ridiculously minor things or gimmicky zone phasing crap (phasing is ok, putting it as "changing the world" is not).

CZory91

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
"Players will also have the ability to cause the world to change around them, permanently, in dramatic ways,"

Why do so many MMOs try to promise this? Seriously, it's not happening the way you're trying to word it. I see this on every new MMO release and it's always ridiculously minor things or gimmicky zone phasing crap (phasing is ok, putting it as "changing the world" is not).

drbaltazar

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
I got two concern!1 is this game 64 bit?2 new graphic engine based on voxel?last I checked voxel was never used because it was too demanding on resource (yes everywhere else it is better but lack of resource always prevented game dev from using it!did they find something?as for the look?come on guys grow up!it isn't even in alpha stage yet the only reason they had gameplay footage is because they needed to show a basic idea of what they plan!imagine if they didn't have anything and announced voxel!people would have complained it would be unplayable!now nobody can complaint of that they had a very short playable demo!any thinking the graphic wont change is delusional!

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
The biggest thing, which was not mentioned here, that the current state of MMO's seem to have destroyed, is the social aspect. In an attempt to make a game really easy to get into and started, they've created games where people play beside other players, but not with them. There are no bounds created, and no team work needed until you raid. This is what I think needs to be worked on the most.

That said, most of the ideas sound cool. Btw, Neverwinter has content created by players as well, though it sounds like this has a different idea on how players create content, which is more in line with a living world, instead of player Dungeon master instances that Neverwinter has.

One other thing that I would be interested in, and that is slower paced combat. Back in the early days, slow paced combat made combat more tactical, rather than mindless. It also slowed down the pace in which content is absorbed. Combat can be fun, even if it isn't moving at a frantic pace. It allows players to talk mid combat and use team work more.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
While a destructable, changeable world sounds great, I don't think it will be. Anyone playing after the first week is going to see a world full of rubble as people before them blew the hell out of everything around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.