Every video I play has minor skips/stuttering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salmondipsing

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017
Hey so I bought this laptop a few weeks ago. It's the Asus GL753VD. It has an Nvidia Geforce 1050 graphics card in it and a 7700HQ processor. It has 16gb of RAM and 1TB of HDD hard drive.

The problem is that whenever I play any video, whether it be local files, Netflix or YouTube, there's like minor skips. The audio continues on perfectly. Like it's not even lagging it's just like a quarter of a second pause and then it continues playing perfectly. This skip happens every 15 seconds or so. And it happens in literally every medium i play. I tried 1080p files, I tried 720p files, Netflix, YouTube, other streaming services. It happens everywhere.

There's no problem with games. I'm always getting a solid 60fps on most games with high settings.

This is so annoying because I just got this laptop and the video is really annoying me. Like you'd think something like this wouldn't be noticeable but it is once you realize it's there. Any help would be appreciated guys I really need it.

Thanks

It may not be on the computer itself. It could be the ISP that is the problem.

Try restarting your router/modem and also clear out your cache, history, etc., on your browser. Make sure your browser and all needed programs are up to date. Like flash, etc. and make sure that you don't have any ad-on running on the browser that is causing the hick up.

Salmondipsing

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017

That would make sense if it only happened when I'm streaming. But it happens with local files as well.

Salmondipsing

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017

I was playing them on VLC when i first noticed the stutters. I tried to set VLC to use my nvidia graphics card rather than the integrated graphics but found out i couldn't. So i tried playing it with windows media player, same thing happened. Then i tried powerDVD and the problem was still there. But i have to believe it's something wrong with my computer because it's the same problem while streaming and for local files.

Salmondipsing

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017

The nvidia geforce experience tells me my driver's are all up to date. All the applications i used are the newest versions.

Nothing is overheating. The task manager shows everything at normal percentage, the ROG centre shows normal temperatures. The fans are running at normal speed. Sometimes this random Microsoft compatibility telemetry program takes 100% of disk usage but it goes away after a few minutes..

Salmondipsing

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017

Okay so today i got a notification to update my nvidia drivers. I usually just do the express installation but this time i decided to do custom and then perform a clean install. After i did, the video was fine. I played some skyrim but after i closed it, i got a blue screen and after my laptop restarted it started stuttering again..

sedifet

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018

Did you find a fix for this? Mine has the same problem now

Mar 29, 2018
Hello! At first sorry for my bad English.

So, I had similar problem and tried a lot of things. I think this worked for me:
1. Go to Nvidia Control Panel (Right click on desktop or in tray icons in right-bottom corner).
2. Go to something called like 3D settings (second option)
3. Change tab from global settings to program settings.
4. Find your browser.
5. Select "prefered GPU". Probably default is integrated Intel Graphic Card. Change to Nvidia.
6. Then go to first option on that list on the left (Regulate video settings)
7. User preferences (or something like that, sorry, didn't know english names of options :C)
8. You have 3 options: Performance, Balanced and Quality. Change to Performance.

It worked for me, just some minutes ago.

Jul 24, 2018

The first 5 things were easy to find and change, 6-8 I couldnt understand/didn't find. I tried applying what I had changed from the first 5 steps, and it didn't fix the problem. Is there any way you can try and explain the last few for a computer 'dummy'?

May 22, 2019
Hey I had the same problem but I fixed it with a variation of regovpl method.
  • I just went into the Nvidia Control Panel
  • Go to 3D settings
  • Under Global Settings go down to "Power Management Mode" and change it to Prefer Maximum Performance

Hope It Works!

Status
Not open for further replies.