Exploding PC Burns Man to Death

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zedx

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Hmmm... Sorry for posting late but I live in India and most people here buy assembled computers with very cheapo cases and psu's(and even mobos) and they could easily explode and perhaps kill if kept in the wrong place. You know those $30 cases with 400w PSU's. That is if he wasn't killed by his roomies...

thepinkpanther

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
well i had a pc in pakistan (indias neighbor) and the mobos caught fire.

2 true storys:

1. Apparently i was installing a cooling fan and the metal part to attach to the other side of the mobos touched the case. Resulting in a flame jet (yes flame jet) comming outta a capacitor above the cpu.

2. i was playing half life 2 and a headcrab jumped at me, the ah heck scared me, in response i moved the mouse frantically upwards and my finger touched the bottom of the case, my index finger got an electric shock and left a white burn mark.

The point is that the electric is not safe in these countries. Maybe the dude just came outta the shower and started coding. Then touched, by accident of course, a part of the case and got electrocuted. The only solution i can come up with.

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
You know, the roommate might have killed him...planted a bomb in his monitor and rigged it to go off while he was "taking a bath". Maybe the guy was ripping off him off, stealing his codes...so he had to do something about it.

Him, being some crazy tech genius, looked on google how to make a bomb and a detonator. Then he carefully planted the bomb in his roommate's computer, awaiting the arrival of said roommate. As soon as he got home, he stated he was "going to take a bath", making sure to bring the detonator with him.

He waits a few minutes, peaks out to check that his roommate is indeed in front of his computer, and then...he activates the bomb. When police arrive, he claims that he ran out and "fainted". Hmmm, sounds fishy. Who faints these days, I mean, be realistic. Just some food for thought.

plbyrd

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]That is one of the worst ways to die.At least he may have died doing something he loved... unless he was debugging some code.Poor guy.[/citation]
Who says you cannot love debugging code? I enjoy the challenge.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Actually there is one thing in computers that can explode and do a very considerable amount of damage, Capacitors. However, one that could do what has been described would have to be on the order of an entire Farad, which would hold an amazingly high amount of charge (1 coulomb/volt to be exact - a lightening strike carries 3-5 coulombs or charge typically to put that in perspective) and be about as large as a 5 gallon paint bucket. SO, we can probably rule out capacitors as the source....just my 2 cents (and some of what being an electrical engineering student has taught me so far).My guess would be that it was a CRT that blew and "charred" him. The gasses that come out would be considerably pressurized and can be amazingly hot while not burning themselves, they could badly damage a person (example - steam burns). It is entirely possible that the reporter made the common (noob) mistake of calling the monitor the computer. Definately interested to hear a little more about this.And for the people saying that there was a bomb in the copmuter, while an entertaining thought, not likely. As it would need to be a focused directional blast like a claymore in order to do what was described without leveling the house, Also he was charred, not "fragged" (I couldnt resist)[/citation]

CRTs arent pressurized, they are under vaccum. mayve he added a few car audio caps for good measure... haha wtf. computers cant just blow up.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Ok, drop the thought that an exploding CRT could do this. Years ago when I worked for a computer store a tech had a Radius two-page CRT explode when he was leaning over the front. It knocked him back about ten feet, buried material in his chest, but it did not fry him to a crisp.

Either this story is an April Fools joke, or his roomies poured gasoline/petrol on him and lit him up.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]...entire Farad, which would hold an amazingly high amount of charge ...( ...being an electrical engineering student...).My guess would be that it was a CRT that blew and "charred" him. The gasses that come out would be considerably pressurized and can be amazingly hot while not burning themselves, they could badly damage a person (example - steam burns).[/citation]
If you're an EE student (much too much non-sense talk even for an uninformed person), then the teaching system has a real huge problem... Have you any idea what a 1F high voltage capacitor would look like? The other example of your knowledge is much more self-explanatory: CRTs have vacuum inside, they implode.

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I think his room mate had something to do with it... In all my years I have never seen a pc blow up and kill someone unless it had c4 in it...

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I understand that a power supply *can* explode. We're not exactly talking about C4 here, but let's say it does explode. Isn't there a metal chassis that would prevent most of the debris/fire to reach the poor guy? The roomate said the heard a loud bang and then, he got off the bath to see what it was. The victim didn't say anything, didn't scream? He was really killed instantly? I'm not a detective but, with the few details, here's what happened:

Scenario 1 : The guy was siting in front of his computer which was sideways with the side panel removed. There was a air duster can between him and the case. He tried to fixe something in the case while the computer was running, a capacitor bursted and the hot fluid sticked to the aerosol can which then exploded after a couple seconds.

Scenario 2 : Murder.

DcMan1

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
In order to rip a casing apart, nothing short of a small
explosive charge of some sort, is required, i work with sheet metal
of all sort's, and it's quite resistant to small explosion's.

Status
Not open for further replies.