Exploding PC Burns Man to Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
That is one of the worst ways to die.

At least he may have died doing something he loved... unless he was debugging some code.

Poor guy.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I'm not sure how the parts inside of a PC could cause the steel/aluminum case to explode and burn the user instantly. Some other factor has obviously caused this. On the comical/silly side...maybe Mac will have a new sales pitch to counter the recent Microsoft ads. Macs will not explode and kill you!.

hercules

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
How large would of the blast had to of been to kill him instantly? It doesn't really make sence at all?

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Skynet is killing all programmers. All that’s gonna left to fight for humanity is lawyers and their twisted words. (Maybe they can destroy the robots with logical loop)

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Must have been running a AMD cpu. They are lucky the whole neighborhood didn't get mushroom clouded. But seriously that is a very odd way to die and so fast... don't quite believe the story something else must have happened.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
lol @ the fan boys thumbing down my comment for making a simple and obvious joke.

Anyways thinking about this even more chances are he had a all in one PC as it just wouldn't make sense for his PC to be right in his face otherwise. It doesn't say his monitor simply exploded.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
It is not possible for a PC to explode. He can be electrocuted quite easily especially but there is nothing in a PC that can cause an explosion.

w4ffles

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
This is why you're not supposed to buy sub-par power supplies. If the power supply had faulty wiring/grounding, there's a chance that he could've been electrocuted before the computer exploded and further burned him. Just my two cents.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Actually there is one thing in computers that can explode and do a very considerable amount of damage, Capacitors. However, one that could do what has been described would have to be on the order of an entire Farad, which would hold an amazingly high amount of charge (1 coulomb/volt to be exact - a lightening strike carries 3-5 coulombs or charge typically to put that in perspective) and be about as large as a 5 gallon paint bucket. SO, we can probably rule out capacitors as the source....just my 2 cents (and some of what being an electrical engineering student has taught me so far).

My guess would be that it was a CRT that blew and "charred" him. The gasses that come out would be considerably pressurized and can be amazingly hot while not burning themselves, they could badly damage a person (example - steam burns). It is entirely possible that the reporter made the common (noob) mistake of calling the monitor the computer. Definately interested to hear a little more about this.

And for the people saying that there was a bomb in the copmuter, while an entertaining thought, not likely. As it would need to be a focused directional blast like a claymore in order to do what was described without leveling the house, Also he was charred, not "fragged" (I couldnt resist)

Status
Not open for further replies.