My external hard drive won't connect with my HP Envy laptop all of a sudden. It's worked fine for months, but now it won't show up at all, not even in disk management. All the USB ports wok with other devices, but none for the hard drive, while the hard drive works fine on my other laptop. Both devices seem to be functioning properly, but neither seem to be able to connect and I have no idea why.
Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by running Windows Update with your laptop and install all the updates available.
- Next is to uninstall/reinstall the USB drivers.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the USB drivers.
- Once uninstalled you could either download and install the latest USB drivers from HP support site or just reboot your laptop and it should reinstall the driver automatically upon reboot.
- After the reboot do test your external drive again and see if it will work or not.
- Do also check the manufacturer site of the external HDD if there are any firmware update for it.