flagshipone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I would like to set up a system that I can watch movies saved to a external hard drive on my TV. The TV in question has USB2.0 ports from which I plan to interface the HD. Most of the units I have looked at so far have been 5400rpm - 4TB units and was wondering if this would fast enough tp push the data across the USB2.0 port?

Solution
As I suspected, the TV will NOT play media (video, music, etc) from the USB port. The only thing you can do with this USB port is load jpg pictures on a thumb drive for viewing on the TV. This is in the TV's manual.

Since this is a smart TV and it has the PLEX client, you could connect it to your home network (ethernet cable would be best, wifi may work too). Then, set up a PC with the PLEX software and stream video to the TV.

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
As I suspected, the TV will NOT play media (video, music, etc) from the USB port. The only thing you can do with this USB port is load jpg pictures on a thumb drive for viewing on the TV. This is in the TV's manual.

Since this is a smart TV and it has the PLEX client, you could connect it to your home network (ethernet cable would be best, wifi may work too). Then, set up a PC with the PLEX software and stream video to the TV.

Solution