External Mic Adapter...will it work?

Zach_41

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
So I bought an external microphone for a YouTube channel I am making. It has a 3.5mm plug and my HP Windows 10 laptop has a 3.5mm input, but the computer doesn't pick up any sound or even acknowledge that their is a mic their. So I was hoping to get a usb mic adapter hoping it would work, but before making a stupid decision I want to make sure this will work. Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P9H2JMZGQ6NT3B6VZ5J2
Many answers is much appreciated!? Thanks for helping!

Solution
It sounds like you got one of the many newer laptops that has an output only jack. Why they decided people wouldn't want to use external mikes with 3.5 mm jacks I don't know.

You have the right idea. An adapter is what I would suggest as well. That one should work. I don't know that particular brand, but that is what you need.
It sounds like you got one of the many newer laptops that has an output only jack. Why they decided people wouldn't want to use external mikes with 3.5 mm jacks I don't know.

You have the right idea. An adapter is what I would suggest as well. That one should work. I don't know that particular brand, but that is what you need.

Solution

Zach_41

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016