External monitor / projectors does not display anything when connected to my laptop.

Scarlette

Estimable
Sep 29, 2014
Hello! How do you get the external display function to work again? I lost it after an update issue. My laptop model is Acer Aspire V5-132P. The functions FN +F5 doesnt work properly, the windows button + P works though to get the display menus to show. I have installed updated drivers. Thanks in advance.

Solution

What OS ? Win 7, 8.0, 8.1 ??

Scarlette

Estimable
Sep 29, 2014

@Tintillating Hello! I did try that already but it still doesnt display on a projector or external monitor I only have my main monitor even if I toggle. The external monitor is just black and the light is blinking. I just want to know what could cause the display not display out to other externals. Thanks so much for checking on this... I really need help.

kanewolf

Judicious

What OS ? Win 7, 8.0, 8.1 ??

Solution

Scarlette

Estimable
Sep 29, 2014

Win 8.1 :(

Scarlette

Estimable
Sep 29, 2014

Hi! Sorry about not mentioning earlier. My laptop has only a mini display port that connects vga. it is 3 in 1connector for acer laptops. This connector was checked and is working great. I went to a place to have the connector checked with a newly opened laptop thats like mine.

My laptop does detect another external monitor. But theres no signal going to the external monitor or projector... since its just black on the screen of the external.

kanewolf

Judicious

If it detects another monitor, it may be that you just need to go into the display properties and enable it. --> Right click on the desktop background and select "Personalize" --> Then on the bottom let select "Display" then "Change Display Settings". Are there two displays shown? There is an option pull down that says "Multiple Displays" try that.

Scarlette

Estimable
Sep 29, 2014

Thank you for being so patient with me I already did that. Still no display on the external monitor.but I have the pc monitor flicker a bit and the at some point it restarts. It used to have a bubble that pops up after the switching from external monitor and back saying that the driver has recovered from a serious error something

kanewolf

Judicious

I looked up the manual for that laptop. The manual says that is a "Acer Converter Port" which is a "proprietary port that allows you to extend the connectivity options of your computer using a single cable" ...

BUT, since you said it worked at one point, you might have to do a factory restore to get it back. You would need to backup all YOUR data since the factory reset would probably wipe it out. I am out of alternative ideas ....

guslangjr

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Sorry to bump a 4-month-old thread, but Scarlette, did you try/have any success with the factory reset? I'm having a very similar problem on an HP Pavilion g4 ever since updating to Win 7 and have found no solutions, =(.

Valentine_B

Estimable
Aug 20, 2015

Hi,You can first try restoring the settings to your laptop-"shift + F8", if not responsive Maybe then seek further technical help.
Just a thought.
Regards.