external pcie video card on laptop

achrist0418

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
5759 dell laptop with i5 6200u. i have a EXPGDC beast adaptor to go into the NVME slot on the mother board. the laptop posts and the card (a cheap 2400 radeon test card) is displayed in the device manager. past that i get nothing, i cant out put a display, the built in windows 10 monitor detetection picks up nothing.

I'm using the genearic windows drivers for now, I'm hesitant to install the amd drivers as i don't want to over complicate the testing here.

has anyone used these adaptors?

the laptop has integrated video atm with intel HD 520.

jtimm00

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
Well its smart not to install the drivers yet as it may cause driver conflicts. I did this on a similar Dell and it caused intermittent crashes and blue screens till I could trouble shoot out of it. Did you disable the integrated GP? If not you need to go to the bios and disable whatever IGP is on the system and switch to the GPU and reboot the system. Once that is complete, uninstall whatever drivers you had previously and install the Radeon drivers for the 2400 card and it should fix the issue. If you are still having issues roll back the drivers, turn off the laptop and do a fresh connection on the EXP GPU riser hardware and repeat the steps again. Before you boot up though this time make sure the GPU and the m.2 connection are seated correctly. I have heard of defective EXP units before shorting out due to poor connections and just bad risers, its not as common though and since its recognized on the device manager its most likely not the case.Typically you just need to switch to the external GPU in bios and disable the drivers before the laptop will run off of the external card.

achrist0418

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
my issue as the bios does not have an option to disable the intel 520 graphics. I'm not sure whre to go from there but ill play around with it a bit more based on what you posted here. see if i can get it going.