External speakers for laptop?

Solution

I have those speakers; bought them back in 2006 or 2007. Considering they are PC speakers, they are pretty good over the entire audio range. The highs from the tweeters are not overly bright; meaning that high pitch notes are not irritating over time. The mid-range crossover, is a bit high in opinion, which means some of the mid range is missing, but the average person will not know that. The bass is tight enough considering they are only $150 speakers. Loose bass means low notes can sound a bit "watery" or muddied where they...

Depends on what you mean by "good", those look to be what they are, small low power speakers that will be better than the laptop ones. So for basic use, they will be great.

I've been using a set of bluetooth speakers with a battery with my laptop, but of course then you are limited by the battery although they can be charged via USB, but probably not directly from a laptop. Best part of those is that you can use them with anything, tablet, phone, laptop, desktop computer. Heck I even used it in my car when my car radio was dead, I just used my phone and the speakers.

I have those speakers; bought them back in 2006 or 2007. Considering they are PC speakers, they are pretty good over the entire audio range. The highs from the tweeters are not overly bright; meaning that high pitch notes are not irritating over time. The mid-range crossover, is a bit high in opinion, which means some of the mid range is missing, but the average person will not know that. The bass is tight enough considering they are only $150 speakers. Loose bass means low notes can sound a bit "watery" or muddied where they do not have much definition.

Well enough with my "audiophile" opinion of these speakers... These speakers are generally very good for listening to music. They are good for watching movies and pretty decent for games.

Unfortunately, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers costs about 10x more than the portable speakers the OP was interested in buying. Converted to GBP the Klipsch speakers are costs about ‎£105 vs ‎£11 for the portable speakers the OP is looking at.

Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with small portable speakers. If I am not using my laptop's speakers, then I am either using headphones, my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 or my Logitech Z680 speakers.

Since the Logitech Z120 speakers currently have 1,995 reviews with what appears to be a 4.5 out 5.0 rating, I would say go for it. The lowest price of those same speakers on the US website is $25 which works out to ‎£17.25.

There are only 289 reviews with a 4 star rating on the US site vs. 4.5 star rating from the UK site. Perhaps the Brits have "lower standards" when it comes to appreciating sound quality... however, that contracts the fact that a lot exceptional audiophile speakers comes from the UK....

Solution

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks hang-the-9

I've been interested in mini bluetooth speakers (like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc-Portable-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Microphone/dp/B00JK6MQEI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1464450474&sr=8-4&keywords=bluetooth+speakers).

I was wondering if they can also be plugged into the laptop's USB connection, what do you reckon? That would be ideal for me as I prefer to limit bluetooth usage.

Thanks again

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks jaguarskx.

I was hoping they might also run from the USB port (in addition to bluetooth connection), oh well :)

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks orlbuckeye

Could you post links to the speakers you're using? cheers!

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks orlbuckeye

Ouch, Bose speakers are quite expensive (beyond my budget)! They look amazing though...

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks hang-the-9

I'll check those out for sure!