Extreme FPS drop in ASUS computer in all games

SilasW

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
I currently own an ASUS ROG GL55VW2, with an NVIDIA Geforece GTX 960M, 16GB RAM, and Intel i9 Quadcore.

I bought this laptop last July. About 3 Weeks ago, all of a sudden, in the game CSGO, Rocket League, and Astroneer, i started experiencing extreme FPS drops. I usually would average 100-150 FPS, and all of a sudden i was averaging 30-50. About a week after this started, it dropped more to average 10 fps, even dropping to 4 at one point.

I tried several things and finally decided to Factory Reset my computer. This did not fix the issue. Since then, I've tried several things including messing around in the NVIDIA control panel, setting it to the default CPU. I also tried the instructions in this post:
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3045414/fps-drop-games-asus-laptop.html?59332a20b761e=reload

Which is resetting the Graphics driver. The problem with this is, by deleting my graphics driver it won't let me install it again. I have installed the graphics driver without deleting it first, but it is not working. Can someone help me?

Solution
Install msi afterburner or the like and either run a benchmark or a game and monitor cpu and gpu utilization and temperatures. Could be a heat problem and one or both are throttling.

J_E_D_70

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Install msi afterburner or the like and either run a benchmark or a game and monitor cpu and gpu utilization and temperatures. Could be a heat problem and one or both are throttling.

Solution

syafiq_1

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017
Just install back geforce experience . i assume that your laptop has already the latest version nvidia. The last thing remaining is setting application to run using nvdia geforce gpu as default.