Extreme ways to cool down laptop (Overheating problems)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParaPara

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Hello.

I have already read the forums on overheating laptops, tried em all, but I am looking for EXTREME SOLUTIONS!!!

I have a cooler pad (not the very best of them, (NOX Boreas) but eh), and the inside of the laptop, fan, cooler, etc. it is clean, as I do it once a month or so.

Most of the time (even when I am only web-browsing) the fan is runing fast and the back of the laptop it's "kinda" hot.

I recently bought Counter Strike Global Offensive game and as soon as i start the game, the fan goes crazy (fast and loud), the Motherboard and GPU temperature goes above 89-90ºC (Lavalys-Everest software), the back of the laptop its extremely hot, and in the end the laptop shut down alone, I have to wait to re-start it like 1 minute, as it won't start before (because it's still hot I guess).

Is it possible to change the fan for a better one? (more powerful, efficient, etc)
It is possible to change the cooling system?

My laptop is a Sony Vaio VPC-EB4X8E

Thanks

The_Healer

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
It actually shuts down because of the heat? Take it up with Sony. That strikes me as defective.

If you've already tried everything on the forums, you're going to struggle to get it cooler, laptops aren't very flexible as far as switching out parts goes.

jordonc

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
A couple years ago my laptop would only run for about 20-30 minutes before it shut down from overheating. I had this huge paper to write, and didn't have the time to take it apart and clean it out really well. My solution was to fill a ziplock bag full of ice, prop up the laptop with a book or something, and slide the ice under so none of the weight was on the bag. Looking back, it probably wasn't a good idea, but it let me get the paper done. I later paid a guy to clean it thoroughly. He said I had a good 1/8 to 1/4 layer of dust on the inside of the heatsink, and that the only way to get to it was to take the whole darn thing apart.. something that Toshiba doesn't make too easy.
Disclaimer: I in no way take any responsibility for any mishaps that occur from using the ice bag technique.

ish416

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I have a friend who has one those or one that is similar and had the same issue. He RMA'd it several times and Sony never fixed the issue. We tried the cooler pads, re-applying thermal compound (Tuniq TX-2), even set it on an air conditioner to keep it cool, basically everything possible. We could not resolve the issue. He ended up selling it and buying a Dell and has had no issues since.

The Sony laptops are just poorly designed when it comes to cooling efficiency. Once they get something tasking the CPU and GPU they can't keep the temps under control and will eventually shut themselves off to prevent overheating.

ParaPara

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Thanks you all for your advices.

@The_Healer
Somehow I blame Sony for this, but the thing is the laptop I had before was Sony Vaio aswell, and never encounter this kind of problem. Also, it was in a much different price range. I think this might affect the fiability somehow...

@jordonc
interesting story, but I will not try the ice thing hehehe. I'm glad it worked for you

@ish416
I am planning for tomorrow morning to clean the insinde again and apply thermal compound on CPU & GPU.

Thank you all, I'll leet you know the result.

ParaPara

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
I has failed -_- I cleaned the fan and everything, changed the thermal compound, but the temp is still between 70ºC - 95ºC !!

I hate laptops.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Probably a design flaw, but Sony will not admit to so RMA is probably not going to solve unless the CPU or GPU chip is somehow defective and drawing excess current while still able to perform it's function.

Depending on the cooling vents you could probable use two 5 volt fans and force air in on one vent aid by the 2nd fan pulling hot air out. For the fans to work use a 5 volt adaptor designed to power a USB hub. Construct a shrould so that the air is direct into (or out) the vents. Not very practical except for home use.

Myself, I'd take ish416 solution - SELL the thing and get a better "BRAND"

My take on laptops preference:
Asus, toshiba, Samsung
Dell and HP - ONLY the enterprise versions, NOT their consummer models.
Sony and Acer - I do NOT buy.

funguseater

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
The first thing I do for clients with overheating laptops that have already been cleaned/oiled/re-thermal'd is inspect the bottom of the laptop, on a lot of laptops you can see imprints in the plastic where it looks like they intended to cut cooling vents, especially on hp/acer/toshiba I have seen this. All I do is pull out the drill and after disassembling the laptop I drill new/larger vent holes, sometimes if there is space you can even install NEW intake/exhaust fans in places like extra m-pcie slots or secondary HDD slots.

Another trick is to hard-wire the fan to only run at 12v instead of the variable speeds. These are pretty invasive hacks though and should ONLY be done if you are comfortable drilling/soldering onto your laptop. AND without question this will void all warranty's etc.

Fungi

ParaPara

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
@RetiredChef
@loops
thanks, I ordered this morning an external fan like the one you suggested.

P.S. Unfortunatelly, doesn't look like it will do the job, let's hope so :)

As I said, I cleaned it today and replaced the old thermal compound, and as soon as I shut it down, I dismounted it and the copper pipes were very hot, for me it seems like the heat it doesn't dissipate as fast and efficient as it should. (as RetiredChef pointed, might be a design flaw.)

@junky
Yes, I guess so. I might go for a PC, sooner or later. In the late years I had just the laptop, for the only reason I need it because I travel alot. But now I feel like playing some of the new games and I can't.

I'll let you know if the usb vacuum will work.
Thanks

L.E.

Thank you fungi,
but that kind of work would be too much for me. Beside that, I still need it fully mobile.

Jo Aldridge

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Vacuum clean your laptop. Pull it apart and clean out all the dust and dirt and fluff. Google Toshiba Satellite cooling method if you're lost still.

ChairmanSaab

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
The only solution I found so far for my Dell cooker (Dell N5010) is to blow air towards it with a table fan.

I've made a custom table for it, I made a 13" by 8" hole in the table ( I know its a huge empty space ! So basically I place my laptop on this, table wood covers only 2" from all four sides of laptop, rest of center is floating in the air.
After placing my laptop on the table I blow air towards it with a table fan similar to this, it has adjustable fan.
http://2.imimg.com/data2/YV/BS/MY-/all-purpose-fan-500x500.jpg

It helps alot when you are running some extensive games !

Your laptop should have vents in the back else this mod would'n't work.

Thanks.
Sorry for my english.

Jason Leo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
A couple of things.
There are programs available that cause your fan to run more also in advanced power options there is settings under processor which allow you to adjust what it runs at and any percentage less is a improvement I have turned both done to 90% and noticed no difference to performance
check what is running. ctrl alt delete as your might be running flat out with programs you don't use.
buy a cheap cooling pad with a big fan in the middle stick two strip of wood one at each end on the pad.
remove all the panels from the underside of the laptop and place on top of the strips now attached to the pad
removing the battery whilst plugged in will also reduce the temp.

an alternative would be get a box and lay the laptop on top and draw round. cut along the side lines and the back line and fold up creating a flap. cut off a strip from the top of the flap the same thickness as your laptop screen. place 4 small items like lids in the bottom of the box to make a gap under the laptop when its inside. cut some holes or a strip out the front of the box about the height of where the laptop will sit. cut two holes in the back of the box and place two pc fans over the holes.
make a small hole for the power lead and connect a external keyboard wireless or cabled.
place the laptop into the box and close the flap tape down or for less permanent lay something over the cuts like a large book or board
the box will act as a extractor pulling air across the laptop and sucking hot air out of the box.
the reason you cut a bit off the flap is to allow the screen to point up out of the box.
excluding the fans this would cost next to nothing and take about 5 minutes to make

LummusMaximus

Honorable
Well, here's an idea: purchase a cheap fan, the sort if which you'd use to cool an entire room. Put it sideways so the air moves upwards. Now put ice at the bottom of your fan. The fan will move the cold air from the ice into the system. Also, remove the bottom cover so that more cool air can get in.

jaggedIT

Estimable
Feb 17, 2014
i would leave the fan alone.... they build them in a certain way so there is an even balance between entering air and outgoing air!!!

but you can find a copper heatsink from the manufacturer.... or you could just simply get 2 copper shims that go inbetween the heatsink and the gup/cpu chips...

worked for my old laptop. if you are going to change fans though... make sure same amount in that is going out so it circulates properly.

i did this copper shim trick with the super slim ps3's.... made them quit freezing!!!!

hope this helps... dont forget to get some high quality thermal paste with those copper shims and apply to both sides of the shim...

example: on gpu/plate plate/heatsink...

ill give ya a pic of them so you can visually see whAT IM talking about:

577584568_tp.jpg

images

images

images

THIS VID WILL EXPLAIN HOW TO APPLY AND ASSYMBLE THE COPPER SHIMS IN YOUR LAPTOP!!
tek guy explains CLICK HERE!!!!

jaggedIT

Estimable
Feb 17, 2014

IMO all laptops are poorly desined with fans at bottom when they know you are gonna set it on a pillow/lap hense the name... but anyways...

i dont think its the companies fault.... when your computer gets that hot. there is something wrong ....very wrong.

most likely dust on heatsink/ fans shut off due to dirt/ no thermal applied or not good enough brand of thermalpaiste or you need to upgrade to copper heatsink/shims... but the best solution is whole heatsink made of copper... but actually silver is way better conductor and will dissipate much more heat than copper. but is way to expensive compared to copper!

ive got a fan boost option on my laptop... a button above the keyboard for when im gaming... it will boost up the fans and shove all heat out of the system and create tones of cool air... i dropped my cpu from 90degrees to 75

with it... its a little loud and speeds up like a jet engine but it gets the job done, when gaming/rendering video.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.