Extremely low volume from receiver: Kenwood KVR A-50

abravo52

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015
I'll preface this post by saying I'm not very technical, but a quick learner. I bought an older receiver, a Kenwood KVR A-50, that I've hooked up to a couple Bose 161 speakers.

It used to work perfectly when set to "Tuner" (just standard FM station), with normal sound volume.

Now, the sound comes through incredibly faint, event when the volume is turned up to the max. Both the "Left" and "Right" balance controls correspond to the correct speakers, and they're each putting out the same level of low volume.

Additionally, I've hooked up a record player to the receiver with the same outcome. I've tried it in CD/Aux and Phono with no difference. And the fact that this same problem occurs when it's simply the radio we're trying to play directly from the receiver, rules out any set-up issues with the record player. I've made sure the actual speaker wire is properly input into the receiver and speakers as well (many, many times.) The only other comment is this happened after a move, so is there any possibility the amp in the receiver got damaged. Any help is appreciated!

abravo52

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015

Thanks ssddx for the reply! For an older model, do you think it would be worth looking to repair the amp in the receiver or just look for a new receiver?

well, having known an electronics repair technician and having worked in a place which sent electronics in for repair... its likely not cost efficient to repair it, assuming you can get parts for it. even for simple fixes expect at least $50 for just using a reset code or if fixing a part at least $100+

considering you can get new receivers for $200 or less, now might be the time to upgrade.

Check that you have not engaged the tape monitor button. This would cause the problem you are having. You are only hearing some crosstalk. The tape monitor function was designed to be used with some tape recorders that allowed you to listen to the actual recording at the same time it was being made so the input selector would still be set at the source you wanted to record from. Here is a link to the manual.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/777008/Kenwood-Kr-A50.html?page=6#manual