Extremely Stripped Philips Screw of Laptop

melo1999

Estimable
Nov 27, 2014
I wanted to dissasemble my laptop but the screw securing the hdd and ram compartment is extremely stripped,i have tried:
using rubber band and cotton cloth
tried all the screw bits of the screwdriver set to know avail
the screw bit just turns with no effect.
Please help me.

nukemaster

Distinguished
They make damaged screw removers(they work like sharp blades that cut into the screw to get a grip), but I am not sure how easy it will be to get one that small.

You could check the hardware store to see if they have anything that small.

Alternatively, you may be able to drill/file/cut the screw out, but it will still be hard to remove from the drive after. You just want to remove the head to get it to release from the holder.

delaro

Distinguished

melo1999

Estimable
Nov 27, 2014
Sorry for the late reply as i had exams.Here is a picture of the screw. There is nothing left for the screw bit to hold on to which is why it won't turn.
medium

nukemaster

Distinguished
a damaged screw extractor would be the best bet because you can use it for other stuck screws(hardware stores sell them.).

The dremel idea would work quite well too as long as you do not cut the plastic too much. The depends on how deep the screw is into the plastic.

USAFRet

Illustrious

For a stripped screw head...a screw extractor is the first option. It bites into whatever is left and twists it out.
Actually, the rubber band is the first option, but you already tried that.

What DO you have available?
I mean...its a stripped screw head. Anywhere on the planet, this is not an uncommon occurrence.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Use a good, sharp drill bit that's slightly smaller than the screw head and carefully (very carefully) cut into the screw. Use light pressure to do so. Very soon you'll cut through the head and it'll pop off like an old rivet. Finish removing the plastic and you'll see several threads worth of screw sticking out of the frame. Use good, strong pliers or dykes and firmly squeeze the threads and twist the remaining portion of the screw out.

delaro

Distinguished
Soldier the head of a screw drive into the screw. Meaning Hold drive screwdriver on the screw and dap a bit of hot soldier onto it, that should give you some grab to play with. If the housing itself is stripped then invest in a dremel and grind off the head with a small grinding bit then remove the stem with a pair of pliers. You would need to tap out the hole to the next larger size and order a screw or invest in double sided adhesive tape or small Velcro tabs to re-secure the cover.