Solved! Extremly weird subwoofer problem

shadowking6751a

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
So when I turn on my subwoofer it’s from episode the only identifier I found was (es-sub-ele10-200) and play anything with bass especially at low volume it sounds like it scraping and it makes a whole lot of extremly weird noises and makes a huge amount of resistance on the cone yet as soon as the power is off you can push on the cone and not hear even the faintest hint of anything wrong it does it with and without the subamp power on too I have a video of it but this being my first time posting I have no idea how to include it any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Solution
If there is no signal going to the sub then the woofer won't move. If the noise only happens when the woofer is moved by the input signal it's generated in the subwoofer not the amp.
But if the amp were throwing DC into the woofer that could cause the this kind of problem.
I would suggest you remove the woofer and connect it to another amplifier (front channel of your receiver for instance) and see if you get any noises. Start with the volume low and use a signal with some bass.

shadowking6751a

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
I am not an expert by any means but when there is no power flowing to the subwoofer there is not even the faintest noise being made and I have very sensitive ears so I’m not completely sure they have been functioning great but I turned my audio from around 24khz to 192khz or around that I don’t remember off the top of my head I did it becuase my audio drivers are very high quality jbl speakers and I wanted to use them and after playing them at high volume with much more data flowing it stoped working so could it be the reciever even with the sub amp turned off it still did it I would send you a video of it but I am not sure how to also when pushing on the cone there is no resistance at all besides the tiny bit from the cone itself which I’m used to the feel off and it feels the same

If there is no signal going to the sub then the woofer won't move. If the noise only happens when the woofer is moved by the input signal it's generated in the subwoofer not the amp.
But if the amp were throwing DC into the woofer that could cause the this kind of problem.
I would suggest you remove the woofer and connect it to another amplifier (front channel of your receiver for instance) and see if you get any noises. Start with the volume low and use a signal with some bass.

Reactions: shadowking6751a
Solution

shadowking6751a

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
@americanaudiophile Thank you so much I’ll try it when I get home and I am getting a signal through it’s just extremly distorted especially at low volume I could send you a video if I get your email I’ve been looking into it and it seems like a distorted Channel on the receiver without the sub amp powered it still has the same exact issue I’ll update tonight thank you so much again do you happen to know if it’s a fixible thing I can replace components no problem but the receiver is less then three years old and a high quality 5.1 Channel yamaha receiver that audiocraft chose for our system also would it be possible that I overloaded the sub Channel on the receiver it’s a very powerful sub and with the amp it knocks things off of walls in multiple rooms away but I’ve only pushed it to about 2/3 of what it can do ever and I was less then half when it became distorted sorry for it being so long