Facebook Faces $15 Billion Class-Action Suit Over Privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
The bigger they are the harder they fall.
I wasn't impressed with the so called IPO filing on Wall Street regarding Facebook shares either... I mean, really, come on... it's a social site/ad billboard... hardly worth long term investment like something that is more concrete like a energy company, or something more.... real....
In the end, that circus turned out to be a shuffleboard game of money between all the big league investment operations anyways....

jkay69

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I hope they do win...How much is $10,000 USD in £ GBP?? Perhaps it's time to start planning my next Gaming Rig, GTX690 anyone:) lol

9th

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
If the suit succeeds, this will be the first time I'm glad I have a Facebook account, even though I never update, or even look at it.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Yeah, because a judge is totally going to allow $15B in damages. Lawyers are getting bolder and farther out of touch with reality by the minute.

I propose a new law. If you file a suit and claim stupidly high damages, you are legally required to pay the difference in the resulting judgement and what you asked for. Should stop these money grubbing shitbags from asking for ludicrous amounts of money.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Yeah, because a judge is totally going to allow $15B in damages. Lawyers are getting bolder and farther out of touch with reality by the minute.I propose a new law. If you file a suit and claim stupidly high damages, you are legally required to pay the difference in the resulting judgement and what you asked for. Should stop these money grubbing shitbags from asking for ludicrous amounts of money.[/citation]

Here's the thing; it's not an arbitrary number (from the article). From a legal bill (US Wiretap Act) the compensation amount is $10,000 per user for privacy violations. Facebook's downfall (were this case to go all the way) would be its popularity. Fifteen billion divided by 10,000 is 1.5 million.

So the number itself is legally the correct amount of compensation. Now if it goes all the way to trial and the class action suit is accepted, Facebook may find a way to lower the sum. But if they have the means, they might not have a choice.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
um... you gave facebook all that information in the first place, i hardly see this as illegal activities. and also i believe only 4 states have wiretap laws where both parties have to consent to be VOCALLY recorded doesn't apply to anything else but voice, so yea... i cant see this going anywhere fast.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Yeah, because a judge is totally going to allow $15B in damages. Lawyers are getting bolder and farther out of touch with reality by the minute.I propose a new law. If you file a suit and claim stupidly high damages, you are legally required to pay the difference in the resulting judgement and what you asked for. Should stop these money grubbing shitbags from asking for ludicrous amounts of money.[/citation]

Ummm. It's a GROUP of people filing a lawsuit, not one person... thats what they call a "Class-Action lawsuit"..... The large number is justified because it is *many* people filing the suit....

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]I wasn't impressed with the so called IPO filing on Wall Street regarding Facebook shares either... [/citation]

Neither was Wall Street, seeing as how the stock only hit USD$45, and then dropped back down to just over it's selling price of USD$38.

amoralman

Honorable
May 20, 2012
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]... hardly worth long term investment like something that is more concrete like a energy company, or something more.... real....[/citation]

Wallstreet is all about speculation, or more commonly named, "guessing". The product being real or not doesn't matter to them, as long as they can make money out of it.

papaswedine

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
[citation][nom]jkay69[/nom]I hope they do win...How much is $10,000 USD in £ GBP?? Perhaps it's time to start planning my next Gaming Rig, GTX690 anyone:) lol[/citation]

it would apply to US citizens only.. someone from Britain would have to file against them

G

My comment is short and sweet. When a large company like this violates the rights of it's users this severely, they shouldn't be fined or sued they should shut down permanently. Digital piracy of trademarked content / information shut down Pirate Bay and caused arrests of many of it's employees. So, why not treat the piracy of personal information the same way ???? Is any one individuals information less important than some large corporations ?????

G

About time that beloved patriot Zuckerberg got what he deserved.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]um... you gave facebook all that information in the first place, i hardly see this as illegal activities. and also i believe only 4 states have wiretap laws where both parties have to consent to be VOCALLY recorded doesn't apply to anything else but voice, so yea... i cant see this going anywhere fast.[/citation]
You didn't actually read the article did you? The issue is that Facebook (much like MANY other sites) is accused of unauthorized tracking (i.e., tracking users outside of their own site, after logging out of the site). Also, the US Wiretap Act applies to web tracking as well as phone tapping....

Status
Not open for further replies.