Facebook Friend Turns into Local Police Arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Local police is using Facebook to crack down on underage drinking.

Police is...?

Local police are...

As for the kids who got arrested. If you put it online, anyone can see it. Be careful what you post. :)

G

Man, who does the editing for Toms Hardware. Every single article i have read has errors.

Local police is using Facebook to crack down on underage drinking.

G

they need to prove there is alcohol in the drink/bottle, the picture is not enough, bottle/cans/ glasses are not in themselves illegal to hold or posses, fight back, make them prove you had a drink

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Try as hard as they will this won't teach the message they are looking for.... The only message I see kids getting from this is drink alcohol out of a plastic cup, and/or don't post the picture online....

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Kevin Parrish[/nom]One student even protested that the Facebook tactic was a breach of privacy[/citation]That's a rather silly argument, and it seems to be the default for people who get caught doing something.

This seems like just another way for cops to go undercover.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
lol!
I read the article up to a point thinking "so? did he buy drinks for a 16 year old?" (as I am from the UK and a year younger than the guy who got busted but can drink as much as I want).

I don't understand why the legal age is still so high?
Is the law kept just so they can fine people to get revenue to bust parties so they can keep employing (possibly) too many police officers and have something to do?

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Why not just tell the cops that it wasn't beer - that he, being the law abiding citizen that he is - poured the beer out and filled it up with Pepsi Cola. It is college after-all, so glasses/cups are luxury items. The fact that he was holding a beer bottle isn't a crime - so how could those dirty pigs (those cops) be sure that there was beer inside of it. Very strange story!

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
And you know what else just occurred to me - isn't there some sort of a rule on facebook which deters people from activating and operating an account under false pretenses? I don't know, just thinking...

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
"I was enjoying a bottle of non-alcoholic ginger beer officer. Besides, can you prove that it was alcoholic beer in that bottle?"

Since all the evidence is gone the cop can't do anything.

Then again, most 19 year olds today aren't really smart enough to create such a simple yet effective defence. That's how they get caught.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Pretty sad tactic's if you ask me. I don't think the Law has the right to even enter facebook, it was created to connect people not introduce them to the law. We get plenty of law enforement out on the streets, we don't need it in facebook. I would love to see the government step in on this one like they are on Heath Care.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
but how do they know he didn't photoshop the beer in? If i goto the police station with a picture of myself holding a pot plant can I go to prison? I can easily photoshop a pot plant into my hands, just like a beer bottle. I don't doubt that the beer is actually real in this case; my point is that there is no way of PROVING that the beer is real since its possible digitally manipulate photographs very, very well these days--especially a picture off of the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.