Facebook May Sue Employers Who Demand Passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
They need to make the fines more severe on that law. 1000-2500 is a slap on the wrist for any large business. I'd say something more like 1 to 2 million per offense.

papaswedine

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
why would a company want your login credentials? (other than harassing you or stealing your info?) glad FB is doing something to help the little people...

technicalbass

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
And if you don't have a facebook page? What then? You can't get a job unless you have one? I don't consider myself a violent person, but if I was denied a job because I did not have a facebook page, I would murder the person in charge of that decision. I'm sorry but at this point I'm beginning to think the best thing is to just remove these people from the planet.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]scannall[/nom]Just have a spare Facebook account that is your 'Display Model'. Then the one you actually use.[/citation]

why?? why should anyone need to bother with that? Just tell them "no, you can't ask me that". If they fire you, then sue their ass off.

G

If you still use facebook in this day and age then you deserve to lose your own privacy and your identity. Welcome to the internet, noobs.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]technicalbass[/nom]And if you don't have a facebook page? What then? You can't get a job unless you have one? I don't consider myself a violent person, but if I was denied a job because I did not have a facebook page, I would murder the person in charge of that decision. I'm sorry but at this point I'm beginning to think the best thing is to just remove these people from the planet.[/citation]

This is NOT a very wise thing to post and it can be argued also not a very moral thing to think.

HOWEVER

This person's comment illustrates very well the problem with a lawless society and a lack of personal rights and freedom. When people lose faith in the law and do not feel like their personal rights and freedoms are respected, they WILL begin to feel pressured to take care of their own problems their own way.

That is a fact of human nature.

Beware the slip into anarchy, people. This is how it starts. First the powers that be stop protecting the little folks from the sharks in the world, then the little folks start biting back. Then there is total chaos like what is happening in mexico with the illicit drug trade.

psychoinferno

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
If your company has an IT department and you log on to Facebook while at work, then they wouldn't have to "ask" for your password. Assuming you haven't enabled https of course.

G

This can't be real. You have a certain expectation of privacy, even through the hiring process. Hell, if it is real, tell them you don't have a Facebook account. Not everyone has one; i know several people that would never get a Facebook account. Then, lockup your account with the strictest privacy settings available, put your new boss -- and any other people you work with -- on your blocked list and you're good.

Pyree

Distinguished
Boss, "I need your Facebook login credential or you will lose your job."
Me, "Certainly boss."

Walks out of office to get the heaviest book from the library come back, knock on office door.

Boss, "What are you doing with that ridiculously oversize book?"
Me, "Here's the face book credential you want!"

Slam ridiculously oversize book into his/her face. Repeat is necessary if they still can get the message.

Well, you are going to lose your job either way, why not make it fun.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Kinda ironic how Facebook's terms of service allows them to fork over users' data to advertisers, including personal photos.

On a second though, what company actually respects privacy?

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]"I hope this passes"....WTF? Can you read???[/citation]

Can you? Moron.

We WANT this bill to pass to block the ability for current or prospective employers from requiring that you hand over any login/password information for any electronic accounts (that is, any that aren't directly related to your job responsibilities if you're currently employed).

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
[citation][nom]scannall[/nom]Just have a spare Facebook account that is your 'Display Model'. Then the one you actually use.[/citation]

That was my first thought too. However, the employer might be able to catch it. For example if one of your friends writes something about your real account somewhere and Google indexes that place.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
If you are asked during an interview to fork over your log-in information, all you have to say is that you will do so without hesitation, right after the interviewer(s) provide you with their information so that you can look at their info first so that you may assess the risk of giving them access to your account, and to see if they are worth your talent and time. Of course, if you're on the hook for your dream job and you have nothing to hide, you might want to reconsider my suggestion, but if it's just a 'job', then don't compromise your dignity...

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
facebook just added up the losses they incurred for not being able to charge employers for this data they sell to the governments and advertisers as well as other organizations. zuckerberg is crying like lars is that he can't have a gold water fountain statue of himself playing air guitar in his garden also. poor poor zuckerberg crying and wringing his hands that he lost out on being a billionaire with those profits employers are supposed to purchase rights to user information databases.

Status
Not open for further replies.