Facebook Responds to Viral 'Copyright' Status Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
"This is false. Anyone who uses Facebook owns and controls the content and information they post, as stated in our terms"

Yes, Facebook, sure. Your statement couldn't be more believable even if it was released by Santa Claus himself.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]Tinfoil hatters above, lol.[/citation]

Facebook users are resources not customers. Their real customers are companies who pay for ads and pay extra to have sponsored ads. Much like Verizon who has been shitting all over my wall lately. Also liking a company on FB is just a way they stuff more ads in your face via your news feed. I use FB but i have one profile pictures and 0 likes. Outside of Verizon shitposting all over my wall with "sponsored" posts I see nothing but stupid inane comments and pictures from my friends and family. They know nothing about me and I just ignore the hilariously mistargetted ads. It is the way people should use Facebook if you are concerned with all the shadyness of Zuckerberg and crew.

sam_p_lay

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Still, these folks would do well to remember that, whatever Facebook's policies may be, they agreed to Facebook's ToS when they signed up for the service. And that can't be amended with a status update.

Haha well said!

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]Tinfoil hatters above, lol.[/citation]

Well then you should know more about how Facebook works. If you really owned and controlled your data, like it's stated in the article, you should be able to decide at least who will buy it, right? And I'm not even talking about monetary compensation here.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Well then you should know more about how Facebook works. If you really owned and controlled your data, like it's stated in the article, you should be able to decide at least who will buy it, right? And I'm not even talking about monetary compensation here.[/citation]

If you find somebody who will buy the rights to my status about what I ate last night, I'll gladly sell it.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]If you find somebody who will buy the rights to my status about what I ate last night, I'll gladly sell it.[/citation]
No need, facebook already owns the rights to that status update, and every other update and photo you post. Yes, they can sell your uploaded pictures to whomever they want (read the TOS if you don't believe me)

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
While technically possible to put copyright transfer terms into a TOS (A certain big name casual gaming giant actually does this to employees if they made any independent games) Facebook would never dare try such a thing. The reason being someone could post something on Facebook that is not their property and by default Facebook would be claiming ownership. So lets say a person posts Mickey Mouse and Facebook auto claims ownership Disney could turn around and sue Facebook for both the claim and since Facebook is a private for profit company could claim that Facebook profited off the content and sue for even more. Even worse if the content in question is illegal and Facebook claiming ownership of that illegal content.

turbotong

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
After a contract has been entered into (such as FB & user via the terms of service), neither party has the right to unilaterally (by himself) modify the agreement. Hence, a user cannot change the TOS simply by posting a notice.
There are two general exceptions (and a few other specific ones). 1. If both parties agree to modify the terms, then it is allowed (essentially a second contract). 2. If either party reserved rights in the original contract to be able to unilaterally modify the terms, this is enforceable (FB probably did this).

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Hey geniuses if you don't like facebook don't use it. Pretty freaking simple stupid haters. Facebook out to make money.. Well no duh derp derp.

Facebook is a fine tool to keep in touch it's the idiots that make it worthless. Posting everything they do, putting up pics then complaining, not realizing if you don't want your info out you simply don't put it on the net in the first place.

No, I'm not a fanboy of FB i rarely use it. Hell the only time I really did was while I was in afghan.

Haters just think they're cool cause they hate when in reality hating just to hate make them sheep like most of the above.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]Hey geniuses if you don't like facebook don't use it. Pretty freaking simple stupid haters. Facebook out to make money.. Well no duh derp derp. Facebook is a fine tool to keep in touch it's the idiots that make it worthless. Posting everything they do, putting up pics then complaining, not realizing if you don't want your info out you simply don't put it on the net in the first place. No, I'm not a fanboy of FB i rarely use it. Hell the only time I really did was while I was in afghan. Haters just think they're cool cause they hate when in reality hating just to hate make them sheep like most of the above.[/citation]

You are hating on the haters... Mr Sheeper McSheeperton from Sheepsford, Connecticut.

Status
Not open for further replies.