Facebook Rumored to be Thinking of Buying Opera Software

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]This could be both a GOOD thing or a bad thing.Opera *IS* the best browser out there... it may not be the fastest...[/citation]

"Fastest" is subjective. Opera is the fastest where it matters - the user interface. 9 milliseconds saved on page loading does not matter, but waiting 2 seconds for Firefox's bookmarks menu to open - I'm sorry but that's just fail. Chrome is faster than Firefox, right until it eats all your memory with 8 tabs and your hard drive starts thrashing.

G

umm facebook, helllooooo. Why don't you just aquire the company that makes rockmelt? It was designed specifically to integrate browsing and social networking. You could just leave Opera alone for goodness sake.

here -----> www.rockmelt.com

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]amigafan[/nom]I heard if Facebook takes it over it will be called Fapera xD[/citation]

I really like Opera's User Interface, although I still think it needs a lot of work in being more intuitive. I have thousands upon thousands of favourites I saved from IE 6 to 8 and this is hell trying to organise it all in Opera. It needs to be more intuitive.

The other bug bear is Opera's memory footprint. If you have a lot of web pages stored in the Speed Dial, then when Opera starts it eats your RAM like nobody's business. Opera was one of the principle reasons I had to upgrade my machine and still, it continues to gobble.

Another problem is that when you transfer your Speed Dial, if you have lots you can practically resign your PC to being non-usable for a considerable amount of time, since the first thing it does is validates every single web page. I have 100 or more of these pages and when Opera tries to update it often falls flat on it's face.

Despite these hurdles I like how 'snappy' Opera is, and how many features it has. However I am in no way inclined to use this software if Facebook is behind it.. if FB wants it why not simply license it from Opera? I think that if FB does buy Opera out then we'll see a repeat of what happened to Facebook and You Tube: take a reasonable, simple idea and basically make is so stupidly over-bearing and ad-savy, it gets dumped. I'd hate that to happen to Opera.

I also have concerns about general privacy and security, and I simply don't want any kind of embedded code running I don't know about. I do not feel comfortable with the information being stored, processed and possibly sold to third-party entities.

Facebook is too commercialized to do any good with this application, I hope I'm wrong. But if FB owns this software I stop using it.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
I think that if FB does buy Opera out then we'll see a repeat of what happened to Facebook* and You Tube

*Addendum: MySpace. What happened to that service? What happened to You Tube? I used to spend hours on them but now I hate the way they look, I hate how many ads there are and I hate how everything seems to lags even when doing basic stuff. Hell, you can't even set your background right on YT or add friends easily.. do they care, despite the outrage? I don't think they do. Opera risks going down the same route: bloated, over-commercialized and generally avoided for the sake of your own sanity.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]And yet you had to quote my ENTIRE text to make your point? You can EDIT your quotes. Here is an example: See how that works?You are right, the best browser for you... its based on our needs. ff for example, doesn't save webpages correctly, never has - never will. Its tabbing is up to Opera standards, but they have caught up in many ways - so has IE. The features in ff4/ie9 are Opera features from 4~2 years ago. Those who love PLUG-INs, by all means - should love ff... I can't stand the constant bickering with ff about plug-ins and its updates.ie still has the WORST interface out of everyone... so little tab space.[/citation]
I do what I want, plus I was in a hurry and didn't have much time, sue me.

geebuttersnaps

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I've been using Opera as my primary browser for a number of years now, and really hope that Opera Software remain independent of any company/corporation. Failing that, I hope that if a sale happens, the new owners don't ruin what is a really good browser (although I might as well hope for a month of Sundays).

G

If facebook buys opera, I AM FINISHED WITH OPERA. I have watched facebook grow, as we all have, and become a gargantuan tower of overcomplicated GARBAGE. I will not wait around for this to happen to Opera, i will take my browser out behind the shed and DELETE IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.