Facebook Users Complain About Groups Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Sounds like it needs major fixing. usually when you want to join a group you REQUEST to join the group, and it get's approved by someone. Or if someone in the group wants you to join they send you a request that you can accept or decline.

G

I get enough random invites on Steam...thank god I stay well away from the social NOTworking data-miner that is facebook

G

that facebook thing is still cool huh. you people have fun now, you hear.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
There really needs to be a "handshake" when someone invites you to be apart of a Group. Secondly, there should be a setting for "Public Friends" and a setting to make individual Groups private, so unless you're a member of that group, you won't be able to see who is in it. This should also affect threads as well. That is, is Group A and Group B are both private, if you start a thread on your FB page or if someone else does, the moment someone from Group A posts, Group B will not see the name from Group A and vice versa. There should also be a setting to determine how "public" one of your posts are, if all your friends can see it, certain groups or people, etc.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Jane, I don't think it's a lot like tagging photos. Sure, you can get tagged in an embarassing photo, but as long as it does not belong to a private setting, you can't really do anything to prohibit the exhibition of the photo, even if you untag yourself. But there is an undeniable fact here: you really are in that photo!

Now, a group can be about anything, especially of things that you want absolutely nothing to do with, and I forsee people having to log on to facebook more often to avoid getting in trouble with their employers, for example - suppose a disgruntled ex-employee sets up a group against the company you still work for and adds you to it - see the problems coming ? And this is just an example. This can go to politics, religion, etc...

This system will be changed, rest assured, or many people will just get out of Facebook. And Mark Zuckerberg won't have that. lol

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
What an awful feature...
They're just designing FB to be less private.
I thought "Groups" is Owner created to make posts/updates/tags hidden against another group such as your Work versus Family.

screechy

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Welcome to tomshardware. Where we get overun by ads and do nothing about it.
This stuff is getting out of control. I just wanna read an article and then laugh at the smart remarks in the comments section. Is this too much?

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
whats that I can't see the comments because of all the ad posts that are being spammed because toms doesn't use some kind of software to determine the difference of spam bots and people.

ImagineTek

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
@edilee - that was exactly my perception on how it would work, and for the same sorts of reasons as you mentioned I thought it was a good idea, which using an email analogy is like sending a message to just the relevant people in you contacts list and not everybody.

Yes I know you could say well why not just message them then, but there is a certain immediacy when a group thread is on a wall. Just have a drop down menu at the bottom of your post that allows to select the group of recipients you want to receive it. No actual groups, just virtual, again just like creating groups in an email client.

G

I think they should remove the group feat, and make it BCC.

I also think they should remove the 'Events' program, it is just as annoying to receive mails from some organization I am not following at all! (just because the organization head does not want to type in every mail address manually, he selects his whole contact list and sends them events every week).

The only way to get rid of it, is to block or remove this person from my friend list, but I don't wanna do that!

Annoying!

Status
Not open for further replies.