Facebook Users File Privacy Suit Over Swine Flu

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"Now, their beef is that they don't know what Facebook did with the information that their son had swine flu."

That's their own damn fault then.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
For example, one of the aforementioned under-13s is an 11-year-old boy who contracted swine flu and posted the news to his page. The boy set up his own Facebook, without his parents consent, posted his personal details as well as photographs that contained images of swimming and/or partially clothed photographs of children ages 5 to 11. When the boy discovered he had swine flu, he posted it as a status update and asked his friends to pray for him. His parents found out about his Facebook profile shortly after and deleted it. Now, their beef is that they don't know what Facebook did with the information that their son had swine flu.

and how this is Facebook's fault? The child already violated Facebook's terms of service in the first place for underage signup.

This case is going to be easier to throw out the window than the computer that the kid used.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
The society is rather cruel. Although I generally prefer government to stay away from people's business, I think state legislatures should ban children under 14 or 15 from subscribing onto social websites. The modern US public opinion on how to treat children is totally wrong. Children need to be taught that they are nothing but worthless shit until proven otherwise. Children are mostly naive and don't aware of the danger they might expose themselves to. Why the fuck their parents allow them to log on facebook in the first place?

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I feel that this is all ridiculous and just another example of how problems are solved in reverse.

Got some crazy folks shooting at people? There is no need to find and treat the crazies! Lets just ban guns and violence altogether! (yea, right)

Have a problem with sickos on the net? Lets not bother to work on the legislation and enforcement needed to keep them off of social networks, no, lets just ban pictures of happy children from the Internets!

It just seems like MOST people are sane enough that we don't have to make it sound like a crime to have pictures of a swimming party your kid went to. I mean we might as well start hunting the commies again!

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]This case is going to be easier to throw out the window than the computer that the kid used.[/citation]I would agree with you, but it was filed in Orange County.

If only my parents hadn't watched my every electronic move when I was young, we could have sued for millions!

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I was wrong about children should be taught that they are worthless shit until proven otherwise. Shit can be used as fertilizers, thus make them more useful than children under the age of 15. Thus, we should teach children that they are even more worthless than shit until proven otherwise, and deserve no Facebook account until they can have driver's license.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]The society is rather cruel. Although I generally prefer government to stay away from people's business, I think state legislatures should ban children under 14 or 15 from subscribing onto social websites. The modern US public opinion on how to treat children is totally wrong. Children need to be taught that they are nothing but worthless shit until proven otherwise. Children are mostly naive and don't aware of the danger they might expose themselves to. Why the fuck their parents allow them to log on facebook in the first place?[/citation]

Ban children under 14 or 15? Is this China? If a 14 year old kid wants to have a facebook profile with all of his high school friends who the hell are you to tell him he can't have one?

I think there should be an IQ test before given a drivers license but that just isn't in the cards.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]I was wrong about children should be taught that they are worthless shit until proven otherwise. Shit can be used as fertilizers, thus make them more useful than children under the age of 15. Thus, we should teach children that they are even more worthless than shit until proven otherwise, and deserve no Facebook account until they can have driver's license.[/citation]

I think the only worthless piece of shit here is you! What the hell do you think that teaching someone that would do to their self esteem? You wouldn't even need Lori Drew to help kids kill themselves then. All that does is destroy the future of society. And if you go by your drivers license argument, that could mean anywhere from age 14 to 17 depending on state. Pretty flawed argument there. And what about other countries that may be higher or lower? Those thoughts didn't cross your mind did they? Nope, your mind was too busy trying to figure out what children are worth. Remember, todays children will one day be in charge of your future.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]pooflinger1[/nom]I think the only worthless piece of shit here is you! What the hell do you think that teaching someone that would do to their self esteem? You wouldn't even need Lori Drew to help kids kill themselves then. All that does is destroy the future of society. And if you go by your drivers license argument, that could mean anywhere from age 14 to 17 depending on state. Pretty flawed argument there. And what about other countries that may be higher or lower? Those thoughts didn't cross your mind did they? Nope, your mind was too busy trying to figure out what children are worth. Remember, todays children will one day be in charge of your future.[/citation]

You are just one of those people who got it all wrong. The first lesson about life is that life sucks. The faster children learn this, the faster they can learn to adapt to changing world. Self esteem doesn't come from no where unless it is an entitlement. Unfortunately, it isn't, and it has to be earned. Children are tougher than you think. However, you teach them to be wimps, they become wimps. That's why you should teach them to be tough. True toughness comes from what one can achieve. Ancient people know this well, but modern people get confused by certain bullshit pseudoscience. All criminologist will tell you that career criminals usually regard themselves highly. On the contrary, low self esteem is never a problem to a society, and it is a major motivation for individuals to excel. Children who are learning useful skill, good at sports, or high in academic achievements don't care about some 20 something loser talking trash on them. But you have a phenomenon which young people are seeking recognition out of nothing, which is exactly the behavior of total lack of self esteem, regardless how much emphasis about this have been put through parenting and education by that particular pseudoscience. That has proved my point that it is better to teach children that they are more worthless than shit until proven otherwise.

By drivers license, I said it and I mean it. If you can trust people driving one tonne of metal at 55mph, you can pretty much trust them doing most lawful activity.

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
yay i got a swine flu, now my parents will sue Toms, because I Posted it here...
That makes as much sense as texting and hitting a light pole, and then suing a company for putting the light pole on your way.

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
[citation][nom]starhoof[/nom]yay i got a swine flu, now my parents will sue Toms, because I Posted it here...That makes as much sense as texting and hitting a light pole, and then suing a company for putting the light pole on your way.[/citation]

You had better sue the wireless carrier you are texting on also, or you waste a great chance at more free money.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]You are just one of those people who got it all wrong. The first lesson about life is that life sucks. [/citation]

Life is what you make it; it's not someone else's responsibility. So if your life sucks, then guess who is at fault?

And before anyone comes up with excuses to this, go read Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl, then come back and tell me you have it hard...

As for teaching kids that they're more worthless than shit until they "prove" themselves? What is this, Germany circa 1943?

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
i agree with chaohsiangchen for once... children are just way too pampered these days and a visit to any grocery store is enough evidence enough of that fact... too many of them(children) believe everything should be just handed to them or that they deserve special protections once they become adults and become unstable and just general drains on society... wotever happened to making kids work for wot they want? waiting till they're late teens and then exposing them to the realities of life isn't any worse than letting them know early on that life isn't like it is on tv...

Status
Not open for further replies.