Solved! Failing NMVe 512GB SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zixith

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
So my 512GB Samsung NVMe SSD transfers around ~50MB/s (fluctuating around 30-80MB/s) from my USB 3 external into my documents folder, however when I try to transfer the same files over into "C:\Users\Zixith\Documents\New Vol 2\Documents 2" (introduced 2 new folders), the speed does not show up anymore and just shows items remaining and says that it will take around a day to complete compared to just 40 minutes for transferring to my documents folder (the transfer size is ~40GB of documents)

Is this normal? I did just buy this laptop from eBay recently so I'm not sure what to make of this.

ps. task manager shows at random times during the transfer my SSD write speed plummets from 80MB/s all the way down to 50Kb/s for a split second - is this normal?

zyh1987

Proper
Mar 16, 2018
i think drive to drive transfer and drive to self transfer are different. usually for large files. it's difficult for the os to ask a drive to read and write at the same time, afaik, they can only do 1 thing at a time. so the drive has to read x mb into the cache, then writes x mb into drive and repeat. where as itsdrive to drive, os can just read from one drives and writes to the other.

Zixith

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
Zbook 15 G3, Samsung MZVPV512 INTERNAL NVMe, Seagate 500GB external USB 3 HDD, also to be clear:

-transfer 40GB from external USB3 drive to internal NVMe documents folder = ~40 minutes to complete

-transfer 40GB from external USB3 drive to internal NVMe documents\new folder 1\ new folder 2 (instead of straight into documents folder) = ~1 day to complete

Status
Not open for further replies.