Fails to boot with certain HDD?

brendenr123

Estimable
Oct 5, 2014
The laptop suddenly refused to boot from the hard drive it came with, it had long load times even getting to bios and trying to reinstall Windows. And even after I attempted to reinstall Windows it refused to boot into it out right. so assume it's the hard drive maybe it's dead, I order a new one 1tb we blue and similar issue, gave me an I/o error error saying it couldn't write to disk. Eventually it managed to let me, and still failed to boot.. so I try a crappy old laptop drive I had with less storage.. and boom it works flawlessly. I'm completely lost on what to do. Where to even start now. I know a bit about computer's but compared to most I'm still an amateur.

Small edit I forgot to add. The new HDD works at least enough to use as I plugged it into my desktop and transferred to and from just fine. Also that one having an issue wouldn't explain why the one in it 'also works on desktop' wouldn't work.

The problem is evidently not with your laptop - - it seems you may have been been given a duff new drive (it does happen, they can easily be damaged in transit from the factory or warehouse, they are never tested again after they leave the factory).

You should test it to be sure:

WD Drive Diagnostic Software (bootable USB pen drive version with instructions):

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=2

(don't worry about being an "amateur" with computers, your in good company here! - :)