Fairly new windows 10 laptop not shutting down completely

Lub

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015
Hi, as of lately my Dell inspiron 15 7000 that came pre installed with Windows 10 has not been turning off completely. The display goes completely dark and everything seems to be off however there is still power as evidenced by the fact that the USB cooling mat I have underneath it continues to run. I have to hold the power button to get it to shut down.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

How do you turn it off ? sometimes the power button is set to "sleep" or "hibernate" and you should turn it off using "shut down" in the start menu

Lub

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015

I generally shut it down via the start menu

Jamal Ahmed

Estimable
Apr 20, 2014
I have the exact same issue on my Dell 13 7000 purchased this April. Tried searching for answers, a lot of people seem to have the problem, but it always goes unsolved

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

you will need to wait a little more it will shut down ...

also the usb might be "on allways" type ... for charging phones. meaning it is connected to the battery directly.

you know if it shut down when you turn it on again , do you get the boot screen or directly to windows?

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

I doubt that , this is a factory installed windows 10 , not upgraded one on old hardware.

Lub

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015
I'm sprry sorry i accidentally picked an answer as the right one by accident. What I do see when I boot the computer is a blue screen with white bubbles loading and then it opens up the log in screen

johnbl

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Google: enable verbose startup,shutdown,logon,logoff status messages. It is a registry key. It will make windows tell you wat it is doing.

Or unplug your network tap and see if windows shuts down. Media sharing like streaming to a Xbox can block shutdown. Windows computers on the same network can't talk to each other and block shutdown. Unplug yor net connection to see if this is the case. You can also start cmd.exe as an admin then run:
Powercfg.exe /energy
Then look at the report, it will indicate if a service blocks shutdown.
Also, windows will block shutdown if data will be lost. Happens in certain cases, the verbose status messages will help isolate the problem.