Fast self-built PC runs very slow, then crashes IE and now Edge in Win 10.

miketaylor1040

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
PC runs slow with Edge. I built a really fast PC 2 years ago, win 7, ASUS MB: M5A M/78L USB3, AMD cpu FX-8310, 3.4GHz, 8 cores, 16GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1866, 250GB SSD, 1 TB hard drive, LG: HL-DT-St DVDRAM GH24NSCO. IE would slow down, RAN VERY SLOW. Someone answered 2 yrs ago: there was a known prob with this MB & DVD drivers, suggested I make changes in Registry, beyond my skill level. Evidently there was some sort of checksum issue, just kept loading more & more, 2 GB each instance in several windows! CPU usage about 15-20%. Upgraded to win 10, a little better with Edge, but after awhile page starts "not responding", email barely works, 1/2 of typing (random strings of letters), gone. Jerky, slow loading ads. Again big mem usage for each page. Chrome less memory used, but CPU 40-50% usage. All other software runs great! Help! I am a very old disabled Veteran, used to be very PC literate, but now too complicated!

Solution
Good - you are a bit ahead of where I thought.

Just for testing/clarification does the problem happen if you only use one or the other (IE vs Edge)? And no other browsers as well?

Not that that is a fix per se but more of an attempt to narrow down the possibilities. If, for example, you can get some configuration in place that works welll and then recreate the problem by opening another specific browser then the next step is to determine (if possible) what is astray with respect to that relationship.

Simplify things to where performance is what it should be. Then add-in until the problem re-occurs. "Perfect storm" perhaps so it may take a few reiterations to work out the pattern or threshold where memory starts getting taken and...
See if you can learn more about what may be going on with your PC by using some of the build in monitoring.

I.e., Task Manager, Performance Monitor, Resource Monitor.

The idea is that you take a closer look at all of the applications, services, and processes that are running and grabbing disproportionate resources as you have indicated.

Start Task Manager and explore the various tabs that are available. Just see if you can narrow things down to a specific application, process, or service. Then we can work from there.

miketaylor1040

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016

I have been doing all that for 2 years - main issue is that IE & now Edge processes continue to grow in memory, sometimes 2 GB for one tab! Even tho I have 16gb of RAM, once 3-5 Gb allocated to Edge, gets unstable. Even though CPU % rarely goes over 20%, after an hour or so IE & Edge become unstable, typing very difficult, as letters are skipped. If Word open at the same time, Word works great, fast & normal. I survive on internet by only having one tab open,then close if I want to open another. Internet continues to get unstable, "unresponsive" starts happening all the time, so have to close & reopen Edge frequently.

Good - you are a bit ahead of where I thought.

Just for testing/clarification does the problem happen if you only use one or the other (IE vs Edge)? And no other browsers as well?

Not that that is a fix per se but more of an attempt to narrow down the possibilities. If, for example, you can get some configuration in place that works welll and then recreate the problem by opening another specific browser then the next step is to determine (if possible) what is astray with respect to that relationship.

Simplify things to where performance is what it should be. Then add-in until the problem re-occurs. "Perfect storm" perhaps so it may take a few reiterations to work out the pattern or threshold where memory starts getting taken and not released as it should be.

Solution