ohfear

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Hey! Recently, I've been having some trouble with my PC.

Laptop model: Acer Aspire Nitro VN7-791G
Specs:
CPU: i5-4210H, 2.9 GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 860M, Intel HD 4600
Video driver: NVIDIA GeForce Driver ver. 358.59

The problem consists in me not being able to play any games, or do anything that taxes my GPU, for that matter. If I try to run, say, Counter-Strike, my PC will either freeze with a black screen and a weird noise, requiring me to restart it, shut down the game, or, in some cases, outright refuse to start the game at all. In case that my PC doesn't crash, and it can actually run the game, my screen will periodically 'blink', and I will get this message in the bottom right corner of my screen:

"NVIDIA Kernel Mode Driver version 358.59 has stopped working and has recovered."

My PC has also BSOD'ed a couple of times with this message.

"VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR"

I'm very confused as to why this is happening. I've tried several solutions, from running a malware scan, to reinstalling my video drivers, to downloading a hotfix for my drivers.. None of this seems to work.

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in fixing that issue.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall NVIDIA graphics driver.
- Open Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA graphics.
- Download and install the latest driver from the manufacturer site.
- Here's the link: http://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed reboot your PC for all the changes to take effect.
- After rebooting make sure to set it to run all your games with it.

ohfear

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

I removed every trace of my NVIDIA drivers, then reinstalled them. It seems to work so far, as I can actually do stuff that uses my GPU without crashing my PC. I'll report back if anything goes awry again, I'm not sure if it'll keep working.

UPDATE: Well, it's screwed again. PC freezes up, or I get a lot of "NVIDIA Kernel Mode Driver has stopped working" messages before the game crashes (still sound on from the game)