FBI Raids Screen Actor's Guild Member's House

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Well, it's refreshing to see that the MPAA is finally going after the source of the problem instead of 12 year old girls, single moms, and college kids downloading stupid movies....

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Because copyright protection is the job of the FBI.

I mean, I know it is, but it shouldn't be, and it shows how ass backwards our society is. There are plenty of things to be spending FBI time on that aren't torrented movies that only hurt people with golden bathtubs.

G

Thank God for the FBI!!!
At least they realize the truth about Illegal downloads being a gateway drug to terrorism.

G

From the wired story and I thought an important point.

"The authorities pinpointed DeSoto as the alleged culprit, because the screeners he viewed contained unique watermarks." So guest321 seems correct.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
They are really taking this stuff seriously now a days... I do like the fact that they are starting to focus on the big fish who are distributing rather than the small fish who are the downloaders...

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
federal agents being controlled by big money?
then you know your country is in the shitter
plus, this will only get worse
goodluck amuhrica, cos you're fucked

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pirateboy[/nom]federal agents being controlled by big money?then you know your country is in the s---terplus, this will only get worsegoodluck amuhrica, cos you're f-----[/citation]

yea, we all kind of know this, and it sucks that instead of tracking rape crimes, molesters, and other such crimes, that are usually committed by people who repeat the crime, they go after people who get a free movie and people who distribute the movie. granted, the guy who did this has to be retarded to upload a screener, they use to dim out areas of the movie, or black and white them to track it, and no amount of encoding is going to get rid of that.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
lol, so yeah, if your movie gets uploaded before dvd release, don't call 911, don't sue, call the FBI for an raiding invasion into the culprits home.
Man, if only they took rape this fu**ing seriously, hypocrite fu**ing failures. Maybe they need to get kidnapped and tortured just for being ignorant greedy fu**s, but it probably wouldn't change their incredibly fu**ing retarded mindsets. I love how cops in a couple of states can now dl everything in your cell just by pulling you over for id, would be nice to rig a battery overload that hospitalized any jacka** cop who pulled it off.

You guys start a revolution, and il jump the border and help, that's a god damn promise...

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Searching his home for what? Checks from Pirate Bay?
Shows how antiquated the laws are they're still trying to fit to this sort of activity.

I'm sure they'll estimate their material losses from the leak to be in the billions. Let the FBI find paperwork documenting those losses...

The MPAA's already suffered losses, I haven't been to a theater in years. I stopped when they put a bounty on theater-goers that might record something, so theater staff wander around with flashlights the entire time, ignoring the screaming babies and the other usual crap.

johnny_2bags

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Thanks for the list of movies guys. Now I know how I'm going to utilize my bandwidth tonight :)

If only they went after Osama this hard............. what a joke. Another nail in the coffin of sanity for our poor country.

G

"“I’m nobody in the online file sharing world. This investigation is excessive and a waste of tax dollars,” he told Wired."

This is an interesting statement to me. It could be perceived as true whether he is guilty or not.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]From the wired story and I thought an important point. "The authorities pinpointed DeSoto as the alleged culprit, because the screeners he viewed contained unique watermarks." So guest321 seems correct.[/citation]

And who can prove that this watermarked movie wasn't copied and distributed from another point in the chain before he even got the movie?

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]johnny_2bags[/nom]Thanks for the list of movies guys. Now I know how I'm going to utilize my bandwidth tonight If only they went after Osama this hard............. what a joke. Another nail in the coffin of sanity for our poor country.[/citation]
When I got time, I watch movies from a couple of years back instead of waiting for the next big release. I like to watch what's worth watching, and that can be found out only through proper criticism. On a fresh released movie all critics would be biased, either too black or too white. Time tells me who is worth giving my attention to (more than time, because I play 100 hour worth of gameplay too, and that also with proper 2-3 years delay).
But, what is important, I would not watch a screener or an un-finished movie. If I would not like it, why bother in the first place. If I would like it, why ruin the experience? And, why watch it a second time soon (before the nostalgic effects kick in)?
(this strangely applies to the unfinished games of today, while the games of 2-3 years ago are fully patched. But for games I might blame my hardware being 2 generations old)

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
I for one still believe in innocent until proven guilty. but unfortunately for this guy even if he is found innocent his career is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.