FBI: We're Not Winning War Against Hackers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
If there were no fear and panic over the system's openness, there would be a lot of people out of a job and no chance of bringing in future legislation.

Isn't it obvious just how useful selling fear is, and making mountains out of mole-hills whilst real, credible and significant threats are swept under the carpet? It keeps American citizens fearful, it keeps them poor and it keeps them subservient.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Last point. We talk about protecting interests, and national security.. ask yourself this: who actually owns the debt in America? Who really pulls the strings on Capital Hill? In the end these vultures will have destroyed practically everything to get what they want, and there will be practically nothing left to defend worth having.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]What would it take to make piece with the hackers? What are the main reasons hackers do what they do? Surely only tiny percent of hackers do it for fun.[/citation]

Kinda like making piece with burglars, thieves and bank robbers.

We need to have a change of mind set where a hacker is no longer some cute pimple faced nerd with a keyboard but nothing more than a high tech criminal.
If you rob a bank you are looking at hard time; I fail to see why breaking into networks stealing credit card info should get you anything less. And don't anyone give me this bull about 'pointing out weaknesses'.

"Yeah, officer, I am not robbing this Bank, I just wanted to point out the weaknesses in the Bank's vault..."

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]Not winning the war against hackers, not winning the war against drugs, not winning the war against terrorism, not not winning the war against the bad economy....epic fail! US.Just keep wasting public money away until the elastic comes back slapping you in the face!!![/citation]

Just where are YOU from, and what has your country accomplished in the last 50 years?

chrisjust98

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]Just where are YOU from, and what has your country accomplished in the last 50 years?[/citation]

LOL Indeed

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
oh my confused friends... its not about who's winning or loosing. They will use this to create more restrictions, a new system.. more control.
what the "hackers" are doing is nothing compared to the new "restrictions" that will come with fighting "terrorist" er um excuse me "hackers".

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I recall not too long ago, a bank's website had a fatal flaw that allowed people into other people's account without entering any usernames, PINs or passwords.

They simply changed the numbers in the URL, and voila, someone else's back account!

Naturally, a group of hackers built a custom software to generate random numbers for the URL. They broke into a few hundred thousand bank accounts, but were somehow stopped. Nevertheless, they got away with a little less than one million dollars.

To make it very frightening, the bank's website lead developer stated:

"If we add security, it will break features. Therefore, we must find a compromise between the two."

I'd prefer a secure banking system than a convenient one.

rex86

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]I despise that comment, in fact I declare WAR on you![/citation]

And I declare war on you!!!!111 :)

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
At board meeting: OMG just got a report we have been hacked for years!
Chairman: Lets roll out the cloud 100% anyway, it will bring in more cash.
Ceo: Sure we can do that, its not like we loose more of OUR data just the customers!
All board members: *Evil laughter*

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
the reason why hackers are winning, because for all of their collective genius, they have a limit, stupidity however has no limit and what you don't know doesn't concern you until it's too late and there is nothing you can do about it.

the number of stupid people is about 500,000 morons : 1 genius
kind of like people vs doctors, you can't save them all and you can only help so many, the question is which ones are worth the time and effort.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Really?
The only people who have ever concerned me about computer security and privacy is governments. Why would a hacker want the information to a empty bank account and rather dull history.

G

Freggo: Maybe if the government was focused on creating a country that is fair, prosperous and just, instead of a country full of desperate people doing desperate things, maybe we wouldn't have so many criminals?

nhat11

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]Good I dont want FBI or any lazy fat Organization to win a way so we can continue to propser in our freedom before they aim to take all of our AMERICAN RIGHTS away. We must fight them.[/citation]
Fight what? Losing your data and information?

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"....you never get ahead, never become secure, never have a reasonable expectation of privacy or security,'' Henry told the paper."

Here's some news: You NEVER will. You never will get a complete secure system or infrastructure. It will not exist ever no matter what you come up with, people will always find a way. All you can do is build and protect the best you can. Man has conquered the highest mountains and sailed the roughest seas, if man can, at times, overcome nature; then anything built by man can be overcome.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom].i can get why its not as easy as its now legal come get it, much of the pot comes from mexico and below and holy crap are those cartels insane.[/citation]

South Americans wouldn't know Kush if it bit em on the ass.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]Wooah weird. The government is willing to cooperate with the people to win the war on hackers, but isn't willing to cooperate with the people when it comes to war on drugs...*cough* legalize marijuana *cough*[/citation]

Why legalize something that's making you cough? That could be a sign lung cancer. You know, like the cancer you get more from legal cigarettes than from illegal marijuana. Wait, you mean to tell me that the illegal drug doesn't cause cancer, but it even helps cure it a little and is far less addictive than nicotine (one of the only legal drugs of it's kind. yet it's probably the most addictive drug known to humanity, or at least one of the most addictive).

Oh, and there's hemp that has huge amounts of uses. In fact, didn't hemp's challenging the paper industry play a part in making marijuana illegal, because the paper industry would have been put out of business by superior products that are also less damaging to the environment? There's also the fact that cigarettes are one of the most heavily taxed "products" in the USA and probably make up a huge part of the US government's income.

When you think about it, marijuana is probably one of the least harmful drugs on the planet and is often even helpful. Other than the cartels, is there any good reason (for the general populace at least) for marijuana to be illegal and tobacco products to be legal?

[citation][nom]rex86[/nom]And I declare war on you!!!!111[/citation]

Doesn't Congress need to agree on that? If it isn't highly profitable for them, I don't think they will, unless you manage to trick them.

While we're on such topics, what about Obama, who's not even supposed to have become a president of the USA for legal reasons? You know that birth certificate that has his name on it? He said he changed his name to what it is now to get along with his father, but that certificate has his current name on it. Last I checked, changing your name doesn't change the name on a birth certificate because it must have the name that you were born with.

So, how could it have the name he changed his name to if a birth certificate must have your original name on it? Obviously fake, unless USA law has changed regarding that and I somehow missed it. Does this make him an illegal immigrant if he doesn't even have a real birth certificate? I have little to nothing against the other countries, but the law is the law and in this regard, I would expect the very president of my country to be a legal citizen and to be able to prove it just as much as I would expect the leader of any other country to be a legal citizen of their country.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Last time I checked congress has to ratify wars in the USA. Oh wait....not anymore, Obama can send soldiers wherever he pleases. Just look at Afghanistan, there was no congressional vote to initiate or perpetuate that war.[/citation]
So could all of his predecessors......

Aside from that, as long as commercial products and standards provide the foundation for the Internet, all things connected to it will be vulnerable.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]preggo[/nom]Freggo: Maybe if the government was focused on creating a country that is fair, prosperous and just, instead of a country full of desperate people doing desperate things, maybe we wouldn't have so many criminals?[/citation]

You certainly have a point there. At the very least the escape into drugs would go down, and with it the crime rate. But unfortunately that is utopianism as Politicians and Corporations will always listen to the mighty $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.