FCC: All U.S. Cell Phones Should Be GPS Capable by 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Sounds kinda scary, but I don't think I will have a problem with it. I'm not too concerned with people knowing where I am as an invasion of my privacy, but it would be nice to know that if I am lost people will be able to find me easier.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Leopardos[/nom]Keep dreaming , Politics = CANCER of the WORLD ![/citation]
Politics can be changed, believe it or not, it actually works here in the west.

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008

So crooks will now just turn off their phones while commiting crimes, and honest people will get their private lives hacked into and stolen.

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I forgot to mention that im lucky im not living in the USA..
Alot of people hate USA since the last few months , its because their Goverment ...
I just hope people do stand together and do something about it like the Arab spring ... !
I know there still good people, TV killing us all ...
and this step about the Cell phones = Goverment Interest !
Look at the economy ... mmmm realy sad what happened to the biggest country in the world ..

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Why would the government need to always track us... (for safety reason? 911 seems like BS to me) How is that serving the people? Sure it could help some people but it will most likely create problems even more problems. The world we live in today :-/

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
Another example of how horrible the US government has gotten. The government has no business telling private businesses what features and devices to integrate into their products. When do these stupid regulations stop!

vote for Ron Paul

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Nothing wrong with that. I hope it will be for all portable electronics since it can aid finding stolen devices too. How many phones, xpads, netbooks, notebooks etc. get stolen and are never recovered? Also it would make 911 calls more efficient, instead of "where are you now, what is the address etc.".

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
I don't understand how a free market translates into so much government regulation and interference?!

Are we just acclimated to this type of thing and expect it? This is not freedom. This is corporatism.

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]Nothing wrong with that. I hope it will be for all portable electronics since it can aid finding stolen devices too. How many phones, xpads, netbooks, notebooks etc. get stolen and are never recovered? Also it would make 911 calls more efficient, instead of "where are you now, what is the address etc.".[/citation]

Why should these companies be forced by the government to make changes like this? Perhaps the government should just make these devices if they want to regulate and control specifics like this. Oh wait, they can't.

In fact, the FCC really has no business doing any of this. They're way beyond the scope of what they were created to do.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Stop the planet I don't want to live here anymore. I read A Brave New World (Huxley), but I never thought I would be alive to see it come true... Sad days ahead unless something changes.

I hear Denmark is the happiest country, so maybe I'll move there...

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
The US Government has completely turned its back on Civil Liberties. Both the Democrats and Republicans are in it together. All of them want to have absolute power over the serfs who make up the lower classes of that country. I am from the USA, but I also left.

Emerald

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
why can't GPS only be activated when you make a 911 call?

the technology is out there.

my battery does not last long if I turn on GPS on my phone

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008

pliskin1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
I love their estimates, by 2018 75% of all mobile devices will be GPS capable. The trend these days is rocketing towards smartphones, and find me a smartphone without a gps? lol

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Cirdecus[/nom]Another example of how horrible the US government has gotten. The government has no business telling private businesses what features and devices to integrate into their products. When do these stupid regulations stop!vote for Ron Paul[/citation]

Lol the RonTards are here as well.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
First thing I did was disable the GPS and the function of putting coords on my cell phone pictures. Darn Gvmt! Where's my tinfoil hat!

Status
Not open for further replies.