FCC Complaint Filed Against Verizon's Tethering Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I'm just after a huge fight with O2 and carphonewarehouse over refusing to honour a 14day cooling off period on a new contract. This sorta bull with the networks needs to be stopped. At the moment you either you like it or...well tough, you have no other choice.

G

This and additional breaches to come are the exact reason why AT&T should NOT be allowed to complete the purchase of T-Mobile. It's always about profits. These companies will seek profit first above any concern for users.

G

Verizon's actions seem tantamount to the thought that an ISP could contact Fry's and ask to pull all their wifi routers off their shelves.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
"Telecoms" The new "crack cocaine dealers". They know they have us hooked and now take sadistic pleasure in making us contort to their demands in exchange for us to continue getting our fixes.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
FIGHT THE POWER! I stand behind the Free Press ' movement to stop the practice of charging customers for tethering.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
@otacon72
How would u like if u paid a tethering fee if u use more than one computers in your house or you connect your smartphone to your wireless. This is what these guys are doing...

Ohhhh I look that your girlfriend accessed your wireless, this is not permitted. Consider buying tether plus for $30 per month.

As I understand it the amount of data u download via tethering are subtracted from your MB plan so it is not like u didn't pay for that.

G

Install CM7 everybody, it gets rid of all the verizon bloatware and comes with tethering built in. Plus the current version is android 2.3.4 In my opinion verizon can cap data but it shouldn't matter how you are using your allowed data.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
If the telecoms are the dealers, it's the politicians who are the suppliers. Both are out to screw the consumer in any way possible. People sign contracts with one and elect the other, so we're just back to people being idiots.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
@otacon72, in this case it may be Verizon who is not adhering to a deal they made regarding access when they obtained their frequencies. It looks like any ruling will be based on that agreement, not on the customer agreement, which may therefor be illegal.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Although I never usually side with "the man" why shouldn't Verizon block tethering if the user isn't paying for it? Reminds me of all those online poker players whining they lost their money. Well you're doing something you know is illegal soooo sucks to be you.[/citation]

Why should you have to pay for tethering. Frankly, uploads and downloads from my phone should be able to be used for whatever I want, seeing as I own the phone. ISP's and phone carriers charge ridiculous prices for a service they hardly maintain/upgrade. There is virtually no incurred fee to them per additional subscriber, so at least let us use our data for what we want, thanks.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Oh come on, it's (for instance) 2GB of data usage. Who cares if I used it all via my smartphone? Who cares if I used it all via my tethered laptop? Who cares if I used 500MB via my smartphone and 1.5GB via my laptop? Who cares if I used 1.25GB via my smartphone and 0.75GB via my laptop? It's still 2GB.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Fuck the world! We all need to just cancel our plans and tell verizon to sue us for any early termination. With no fee's coming in and all their money going out to lawyers to sue everyone, well that is the end of Verizon. I bet if all Verizon users did this and AT&T just started to feel a pinch of it, they would change their tune so quickly. It's a shame that so many people just don't care about these things...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
back when the phone companies gave TRUE unlimited data plans, people connected the phone to computer, because it was faster than dial up and high speed wasn't available everywhere yet.

back than, phone companies had a right to complain about it, because it was NEVER intended to be used like that. while most people used less than 10-20mb a month, some used gigs.

now that all of them, for the most part, implemented data caps tethering issues should not exist in any way shape or form.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
If it is in the contact you sign, they should have the right to ban tethering software on your phone. If not, the alternative is capping their unlimited data plans. If that happens, I will be pissed beyond pissed.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
And yet people are pushing for IPV6 and that ISP's will somehow be "nice" and let you have your entire 64-bit network and connect all the stuff that you have now?

This just proves that you can never ~EVER~ trust ISP's or any other legalized semi-monopoly to do things legit. They'll find any and all ways to turn you into a revenue stream.

Graham_71

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]I'm just after a huge fight with O2 and carphonewarehouse over refusing to honour a 14day cooling off period on a new contract. This sorta bull with the networks needs to be stopped. At the moment you either you like it or...well tough, you have no other choice.[/citation]

It's the carphonewarehouse who are the real crooks, they don't honour their 'cash back' offers either. I had a phone from their site 'onestopphoneshop' offering 12 month's free line rental in the form of cashback. On the site once you've purchased there's an online calculator telling you when to send in your claim for each instalment of the cash back, in my case the calculator was missing the date of the first claim. Their T&C's (hidden in a email attachment) state that if you fail to make a claim within the given time frame the claim will be invalid and the account closed (so no further claims will be accepted either)

carphonewarehouse = a bunch of crooks

Status
Not open for further replies.