Female USB to dual 3.5

yobar

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
I bought some new Logitech headphones that has a USB 2.0 male connector to my PC. I can't figure out how to make the headphones use my soundcard instead of the audio drivers included on the headphones. What I'm looking for is a cable with female USB 2.0 that ends with the 3.5 jacks for both headphones and mic. I've found USB to 3.5, but just one 3.5. Any help?

Solution
I agree with WyomingKnott, it seems you've bought the wrong headphones.
The normal process for digital audio is this:
Digital Signal -> DAC / Amplifier -> Speakers.

Your headphones have the DAC/Amp built-in.
Converting the digital signal to analog, back to digital, then analog again can only end in trouble.
I *suppose* that, depending on the model headphones, you might be able to take the set apart, remove the digital components, and solder a regular analog cable directly to the speakers.
Really, though, if it's not too late to return the set and buy a different pair, i suggest you do that.
One of us is confused. Headphones with a USB connector are supposed to read the digital data (hence the USB connector) and convert it to an analog signal inside the headphones. The key component is a DAC, a Digital to Analog Converter, which in this case is in the headphones.

Your soundcard has its own DAC and outputs an analog signal. The signal in the 3.5mm connector is analog; it can drive a speaker directly. There is no simple physical adapter that can attach one to the other.

Any such adapter is active. It sounds to me like you bought the wrong headphones. If you want cans that can connect to a soundcard's headphone output and line input, buy a set of headphones that do that.

In theory, you could buy a device to take your soundcard's output and put it back to digital for your headphones to convert back to analog, but that's excessively clunky. Convert digital to analog then back to digital then back to analog? What do you have against using the drivers that came with the headset, which are what it's designed to work with? It seems to me that that would be the simplest solution, and probably sound better than multiple conversions.

andrew_berge

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
I agree with WyomingKnott, it seems you've bought the wrong headphones.
The normal process for digital audio is this:
Digital Signal -> DAC / Amplifier -> Speakers.

Your headphones have the DAC/Amp built-in.
Converting the digital signal to analog, back to digital, then analog again can only end in trouble.
I *suppose* that, depending on the model headphones, you might be able to take the set apart, remove the digital components, and solder a regular analog cable directly to the speakers.
Really, though, if it's not too late to return the set and buy a different pair, i suggest you do that.

Solution

yobar

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Yes, I assumed the things would be able to go through the soundcard. I've been messing with various settings, but Win7 sound management seems to be sparse compared to XP. Can hear some stuff in various programs like Audacity, but I may have to get a new set. I don't want to switch cans every time I do something different. At least I can rock out with the new ones. USB may not be the answer to everything.

Rudra Singh

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
These were meant specifically for the MadCatz Tritton AX720+ Headphones for using them with a PC. Seems like it's exactly what you want. http://store.madcatz.com/brands/tritton/TRITTON-AX720-3-5mm-PC-Adapter-Cable.html

The only hitch is that these specific headphones may be engineered to recognize that it's being split into a receiving audio channel and outgoing mic channel when it goes into the USB which then decodes it back into two different channels to be controlled separately through the headset. I don't know if other headsets would know that they have to do that or merge both the voice and only be able to pull through the audio alone or send out the mic alone.

yobar

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

Thanks! This is exactly what I had in mind. Ten bucks not a bad gamble. Too bad out of stock. I guess I can search on my own. I myself can't figure why I can't get the comp to ignore the DAC in the headphones and just use the sound card as I had intended. Maybe sit and tinker when I have time. Darn smart peripherals.