FHD vs HD+ vs HD

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
HI there, I was browsing GTX 950m laptops and find that many of the lower range laptops come with a 1366x788 HD panel? Why is that? Does this mean the screen isn't able to fully utilize the potential of the GPU? Also, as a researcher I stare/read for long hours. Will having an HD screen be a hindrance when compared to a FHD or HD+ screen?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
A 1366x768 screen is cheaper, that's why.

FHD means 1920x1080, which looks better than HD (which is typically 1366x768, but can also be slightly different resolutions).

I believe HD+ means 1600x900, which would be in between FHD and HD.

The higher resolution is worth it, especially if the physical size of the screen is larger. I wouldn't think of it in terms of utilizing the GPU, but just in terms of the image being more detailed.

Sakkura

Distinguished
A 1366x768 screen is cheaper, that's why.

FHD means 1920x1080, which looks better than HD (which is typically 1366x768, but can also be slightly different resolutions).

I believe HD+ means 1600x900, which would be in between FHD and HD.

The higher resolution is worth it, especially if the physical size of the screen is larger. I wouldn't think of it in terms of utilizing the GPU, but just in terms of the image being more detailed.

Solution
FHD screens allow you to see more information on the screen because of the higher resolution compared to HD screens (and "HD+" screens). On screens of the same size, the higher the resolution, the smaller texts and graphics will be unless you scale them up. I find using a HD screen to be a hindrance even when doing normal daily tasks.

If you want to see the difference between HD and FHD, then I recommend you go to an electronics store that sells laptops such as BestBuy. They likely will not have a laptop with FHD right next to another laptop with HD so the you would need to change the resolution from FHD to HD on the same laptop. Note that lowering the resolution from FHD down to HD will make text and images appear less sharp. This is a limitation of LCD screen. A laptop with a HD will have sharp text and images.

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
So, if I'm going to be doing a lot of reading I should be looking at FHD at the very least? I was considering a T440p which is 1600x900 and a T430s of the same screen res. Now, I'm having second thoughts purely for the quality of the screen given it will be a refurb/used prod...