Fidelio X2 broke... looking for an upgrade now!!

ThatGeekMatt

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
To my stupidity I didn't make sure my Fidelio X2s were firmly on the desk and they fell onto the ground... vulnerable to 5 dogs (one of which digs holes and hides things in the back garden..)

So because of my stupidity I need to look for a new pair of headphones...

I got the X2s when they cost £160, but now I have a budget of ~£300-£400

I would like to spend on the lower end but if there is a good headphone + dac/amp combo at the top of the price range then let it be

Preferably over ear and open back with warm sound (since I do a lot of gaming and listen to a lot of music)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thank you :)

Solution
D
By no means a complete list but there's a good guide here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/

I always heard the X2s were good but I never got a chance to hear them. They're discontinued now. I own Sennheiser HD 598s, HD 600s and HD 650s as well as Fostex TH X00s. The HD 650s are among the best all arounders in the headphone world. They really sound good with any type of music.

Edit: Actually the X2s might not be discontinued only really hard to find here in the US.
D

Deleted member 217926

You have an amp/DAC or you need those as well?

The gold standard of open back warm headphones is the Sennheiser HD 650.

ThatGeekMatt

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

If the headphones need high power then I will need a amp/DAC aswell, didn't get one for the X2s since they were low power (to my knowledge 42 ohms)

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll look into them :)

D

Deleted member 217926

By no means a complete list but there's a good guide here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/

I always heard the X2s were good but I never got a chance to hear them. They're discontinued now. I own Sennheiser HD 598s, HD 600s and HD 650s as well as Fostex TH X00s. The HD 650s are among the best all arounders in the headphone world. They really sound good with any type of music.

Edit: Actually the X2s might not be discontinued only really hard to find here in the US.

Solution

ThatGeekMatt

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

Funnily enough I was looking at that guide earlier haha, you've got me very interested in the 650s and I'm tempted to increase my budget to the 660 S but I need to do a lot more research first as that's a lot of money for me - but a great audio experience is totally worth it :)

I got the X2s when they cost £160 in the UK and now they're £210 :/

Thanks for the help!

D

Deleted member 217926

Reviews of the 660S are....mixed. The guy at Innerfidelity looked like he was going to cry that Sennheiser was going to replace the 650 with the 660S lol. The 650s are tried and true and almost universally loved. That being said the 660S is mostly met with those mixed reviews from people who already have 650s. If you've never heard a 650 then the 660S wouldn't be disappointing. It's NOT worth more money than a 650 though.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t13YuPVOBg"][/video]

D

Deleted member 217926

Oh yeah, if you can buy from Massdrop their HD 6XX is a Sennheiser HD 650. It just has a different paint job. Everything else is identical to the HD 650. They sell it for $200 US and I know you'd have to pay import taxes but it may be cheaper from them. You'll need a free account to even view the page. This is widely considered one of the best values in the headphone world.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

Drops are limited and while it will almost certainly return due to the huge demand it will go back out of stock at some point and it might be months before it returns.

ThatGeekMatt

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

Your help has been beyond wonderful and I really appreciate it, right now it looks like I'm going to see if Massdrop's 6XX is more cost efficient for me, if not I may get the 660S because for the main store I purchase from they're £30 more than the 650 but will still take a long time to think about it :)

Thank you very much!