figures for over clocking

Anvesh_1

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
hi guys, ive recently purchased a laptop MSI gt72 6qd dominator g sync.. it has gtx 970m. ive been playing witcher 3 and blacklist. i get FPS of 30-40 in high settings and but i wish to overclock it for some extra frames. but id want it to be safe. i love my notebook. i have done valley benchmarking on high settings. the temp never goes beyond 42 C. and i get FPS of 30-40 again.

Solution
With laptops, overclocking is not the best idea since you can't do much to improve cooling. 30-40 are very playable frame rates, if it was my system I would not mess with it, overclocking can lead to earlier failure of hardware very easily, even if it works fine for a bit. If you still want to play around with it, there is the MSI Shift utility you can use, just go up in speeds slowly, a few % at a time and run several benchmarks like 3DMark to make sure things are stable.
With laptops, overclocking is not the best idea since you can't do much to improve cooling. 30-40 are very playable frame rates, if it was my system I would not mess with it, overclocking can lead to earlier failure of hardware very easily, even if it works fine for a bit. If you still want to play around with it, there is the MSI Shift utility you can use, just go up in speeds slowly, a few % at a time and run several benchmarks like 3DMark to make sure things are stable.

Solution

Anvesh_1

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
thanks a lot. ive ttried 5% to 9%. however it does not bring much difference. From 32, it jumped to 39 FPS. But as you suggested, i feel i should leave overclocking thingo. thanks bro!!

32 to 39 is actually a pretty good boost, it's right about at the noticeable to the naked eye range. If you look at the % increase, that's about 20%, sure 7 fps increase when a good system can hit 60+ in games may not be much, but look at the overall speed in % from what is used to be.