Film Making Amateur?

mrkiwiism

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
I really want to become a film maker, I live in Ohio (Hocking County) and defiantly could make sweet time lapses of Caves and or the trails of the forest. I also Kayak in the rivers of Ohio. I wanted to know a nice camera for like 350-400$ that can record in 1080p I was looking at the GoPro Hero3 + Black Edition as it records in 4k and superwide vision, plus it is waterproof. As I said before very new to cameras and would love to know of some nice cameras and equipment to use.

GoPro: http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDHX-302-HERO3-Black-Edition/dp/B00F3F0GLU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395873292&sr=8-3&keywords=4k+camera

mrkiwiism

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Glad you showed me this site, I did some comparisons and look at many youtube videos between a lot of the cameras such as: GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Drift Ghost S, ION AIR PRO 3, and Sony HDR AS100VR. In my opinion I totally wanted the GoPro, but it has that yellow tint which I don't like, and the one I am probably gonna get is the Drift Ghost S it looks so much sharper and has a lot more color than the competitors.

Yes research is the way to go. Do this before you commit to any particular make or model. Browsing at camera stores will help as long as you do not accept all the 'free' advice given by sales people. Some sales people will steer you and recommend products that they want to sell and not have your best interests at heart.

This is another good site for info: http://www.kenrockwell.com/

mrkiwiism

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Do you suggest any landscape cameras, yes I know I can get a wide angle lenses on a couple. I was looking at the Nikon FE or the Canon AE-1 Program, I have seen some videos of these and people say they are sweet. Just would like some help on finding the best ones for Ohio's trails, and great caves.

Over the years I have been a Nikon user and strongly recommend Nikon.

Recently I did some comparisons for a friend and I shall post that for you.

Comparison: D3200 D5200 D7100
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Nikon_D7100_DSLR_Camera_with_18-140mm_VR_DX_Lens_vs_Nikon_D3200_Digital_SLR_Camera_With_AF-S_DX_NIKKOR_18-55mm_1%3A3.5-5.6G_VR_Lens_Black_vs_Nikon_D3200_DSLR_Camera_with_18-55mm_and_55-200mm_Lenses_Black_vs_Nikon_D5200_Digital_SLR_Camera_with_18-55mm_Lens_Black/BHitems/1005009-REG_856049-REG_1027229-REG_910170-REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Nikon_D5200_vs_Nikon_D3200_vs_Nikon_D7100_vs_Nikon_D5300/BHitems/910170-REG_856049-REG_1005009-REG_1010025-REG

For trails, caves, and scenery in general (indoor groups too) a wide angle zoom lens would serve you well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/532521-USA/Nikon_2176_18_55mm_f_3_5_5_6G_VR_AF_S.html
Hope this helps!

s2000

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014
[quoteDo you suggest any landscape cameras, yes I know I can get a wide angle lenses on a couple. I was looking at the Nikon FE or the Canon AE-1 Program, I have seen some videos of these and people say they are sweet. Just would like some help on finding the best ones for Ohio's trails, and great caves.][/quote]

The AE-1 is a 35mm film camera, same with the FE. I have been doing video for quite some time, and a wide number of my colleagues who also do movie making have switched to DSLR cameras, which give you the ability to of course, swap the lens. Always remember that what determines image quality is the quality of the lens, not the pixel size (pixels is detail). If you would like to introduce some still shots from a camera, you can invest in a good DSLR. Like you said, the GoPro is waterproof-Some DLSR's do have weather sealing but they are not waterproof, and weather sealed ones will generally cost you more money. You can buy covers/cases for them that will portect you from the elements. A very good DLSR that I would recommend is the d7000, it is a bit older so the price will have gone down (It will be more than the go pro). It will shoot 1080p with autofocus and has dual SD card slots, with burst shots at 6fps. since it is a DSLR you can swap the lenses to your choosing.

mrkiwiism

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Ya the video recording is what I have the Drift Ghost-S Action Camera, which is waterproofed. And the FE is just for shots of the trails, caves, and rocks. I like the color and picture 35mm cameras give, which is fantastic.

s2000

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014
Ya the video recording is what I have the Drift Ghost-S Action Camera, which is waterproofed. And the FE is just for shots of the trails, caves, and rocks. I like the color and picture 35mm cameras give, which is fantastic.

Film is fine, but just remember that with film you are restricted in your ISO with whatever film speed you pick, whereas with modern cameras the ISO is adjustable. To make things easier, if you got a digital camera with adjustable ISO and editing the photographs in photoshop or some other editing program to make things easier would work as well. Another advantage is RAW files from digital cameras, but I don't know if you were considering it.

gregbattis

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I have used Canon C100 for a number of years but I don't think its in your budget. Blackmagic has a good one. Then if your looking in the range of a DSLR get a 5D MK III. ISO performance is excellent in any of these cameras.

Ya the video recording is what I have the Drift Ghost-S Action Camera, which is waterproofed. And the FE is just for shots of the trails, caves, and rocks. I like the color and picture 35mm cameras give, which is fantastic.[/quotemsg]

I have the Nikon FM2 body gathering dust! Go with a digital body!

aktar26

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
Though in the forum there is lot of information is already discussed in details, looking at your interest in making film I think any one can do it having thorough knowledge starting from basics with education, technology and with beginners experience. It is better to work with a very good film production house from basic level to understand minute details and their know how,that can be helpful in gaining experience of versatile and wide range of films such as action films, romantic films, horror films or some sort of documentary films etc, for all these you may go to:http://www.thegoldminefilms.com/