Finding and formatting c drive

mcpcullen

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Having had problems, I have cleared the hard disc of my other laptop. When I try to install the operating system (in this case XP) don't have Vista disc, I am told that there is no C drive - how do I get it 'started'?

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
well... that's weird. The windows install CD should automatically pick up all installed HDDs and list them as options to install to (without the c: moniker). Can you see the drive from BIOS?
By mentioning that you do not have the Vista disc I am assuming that the laptop originally had Vista installed? You can get a copy of Vista (in the form of a Restore CD) from the manufacturer, the cost is generally $20 for most manufacturers. XP will run a little faster than Vista, but if you have 4GB of Ram or more than you will need a 64bit OS like vista or 7 in order to get the most out of your computer.

jrazor247

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Find out what keys to press to get into the laptop's BIOS, and see if there is an option to set Legacy IDE mode instead of AHCI mode. XP might not be recognizing this without pressing F6 to insert drive controller drivers on floppy. so you may need to get a USB floppy drive and the appropriate drivers for your drive controller. can you tell us at least the CPU and chipset on the laptop. How old (or new) it is compared to XP is important.

mcpcullen

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Can't get into the BIOS. It simply tells me Operating System not present and then when I try to install it, the disc tells me there is no C drive. But a utilities disc I have does 'see' the drive!